Chapter 17

It was Thursday April 14, 1983; and Don and Meryl had gotten back from the Oscars where Meryl had won for Sophie's Choice on Tuesday, just two days earlier. Since getting back, Don and Meryl were trying to spend some extra time with Henry. Their first night back they had a congratulatory dinner with Henry, Meryl's parents, her brothers and their families. Don had decided to lay low from the studio for the rest of the week. Meryl had another awful bout with her morning sickness while they were in LA for the Oscars, and given what happened with her last pregnancy and everything over Christmas, Don couldn't hide or stop his worry. Their self imposed down time also gave them an opportunity to get started on the nursery. Don and Meryl were in the examination room of her doctor's office with Meryl on the examination table while Don was holding her hand when the doctor came in. "If it isn't the best actress winner."

"Hi, Dr. Taylor." Meryl just laughed. "I'm still just Meryl Gummer-wife of the brilliant Don Gummer and mother of Henry and this little one."

Don bent down to kiss his wife's cheek. "And the winner of the 1983 Best Actress Oscar."

"Congratulations." Dr. Taylor smiled as she looked through her file. "You've been resting? When did you get back?"

Meryl nodded as she smiled at her husband. "We got back on Tuesday afternoon; and this one has been making sure I have been resting."

"She had really bad morning sickness the morning of the awards." Don told the doctor. "She's doing better, though. How is everything?"

The doctor smiled as she looked up from Meryl's file. "Your levels look good. Any swelling? I don't see any evidence of pre-eclampsia in your blood work."

"Not really; just when I'm on them alot." Meryl explained. "Which I'm trying not to be; I am trying to be ultra careful."

Don nodded a she kissed her hand. "With what happened with William we both are."

"Completely understandable." The doctor continued. "Your levels really look good; but I would like for you to gain some more weight."

Don felt for his wife; he knew she was trying so hard to gain weight. "Kinda hard to do when you can't keep anything down."

"Though that is getting better." Meryl pointed out. "I've been trying for a milk shake a day; and this one sure moves around when I do."

The doctor pulled over the ultrasound machine and motioned for Meryl to lift up her shirt. "Let's see the little one."

"Will she get an ultrasound every time?" Don asked; knowing this didn't happen with Henry. "I don't mind; if insurance won't pay then I will pay anything to make sure my wife and our baby are okay."

Meryl stroked Don's fingers. "We are both just a little jumpy after William and the scare at Christmas."

"It is because of Meryl's past complications that we've been doing regular scans; we just want to be sure. So yes, once a month." The doctor said. "And there it is."

Seeing her baby on the ultrasound screen. "Hey there, little one."

"This little peanut has sure grown since last time." Don said excitedly but noticed the doctor was zooming in on something and had a concerned look on her face. "Is everything okay? Heart rate and size?"

The doctor thought how Don hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the baby's heart. "Size is pretty good at this stage and heart rate is okay; but I am seeing something that I want a second opinion on."

"What?" Meryl asked with wide eyes. "What's wrong with our baby?"

Don shook his head. "I don't understand; all the tests have been great. You just said that Meryl and the baby we're doing well. Now you want a second opinion?"