Chapter 46

Don didn't know if he should tell her as he wanted to shield her from undue stress and worry; but then again he wouldn't keep this from her. "Dana, baby; it's Dana."

"No, don't." Meryl shook her head. "I can't take him right now; and I sure don't want him to upset you. I know he's my brother; but I'm sorry, he's not worth it."

Don leaned over and kissed her lips. "I know you can't take him right now and you shouldn't have to; that's why I want to know what the hell he is up to."

"Okay." Meryl closed her eyes as she nodded her head. "But don't put up with his shit because of me; I can't let him hurt you or the kids."

Don brushed his lips across her forehead and then pointed to the babies in their gliders. "Concentrate on them, and I'll deal with your brother, I love you."

"Okay." Meryl knew she might be looking at her babies, but her ears would be tuned into what her husband was saying on the phone. "I love you, too."

Don took a deep breath as he kissed his wife's head and went over to sit in one of the gliding rockers in the corner of the room, answering his phone. "Dana?"

"Hi, brother." Dana tried to sound chipper. "I tried to call my sister's phone but it was turned off and went directly to voicemail; which is really unusual. Is she okay?"

Don knew he would need to help his cool; if not for himself, then for his wife. "She's been through a hell of an awful lot, Dana; and you sure as hell haven't helped these past 6 months or so. She needs rest and NO stress; and as her husband, I am going to make sure of that. What can do you want from her now?"

"Don, I really am sorry for everything I have done lately. From the hateful words, I have said to you and Meryl, for hurting you so badly and making those false charges, for hurting Margaret and for making my sister turn her back on me." Dana said with deep emotion. "You have to know it's not me; I'm sick."

Don was tired of hearing this line; his wife had tried to get her brother help and then he turned on her again. "Dana, we have heard that over and over again. I believe my wife has shown you amazing grace; when you tried to kidnap her baby, and hurt our baby to the point where she and her brother were almost taken from us, she got you medical attention. She tried to help you. What do you do in return? You completely turn on her...again. You put doubts in my wife's head about my love for her and that is NOT okay with me. You have physically, emotionally and mentally abused my wife. It took weeks for us to be able to hold our baby girl without her crying out in pain because of you. You tried to put me between you and my wife using my amnesia against me. I'm sorry, but we tried to get you help and you eventually turned away from that help. You being sick just isn't going to cut it with me anymore; and I know it won't with your sister. I'm not her keeper. I told you when she's ready to talk to you she will; well, she's not."

"Not that kind of sick, Don." Dana tried to explain. "I'm in the hospital; they have found tumors on my brain. They say that is why the huge change in my personality. I'm trying to reach out to my big sister before surgery. I'm trying to say I'm sorry; I'm sick."

Don really didn't believe his brother-in-law; but he knew it wasn't up to him, it was up to his wife. He NEVER told his wife what to do; and he sure wasn't going to start now. He just wanted to support and love her whatever came her way. "They're just now finding these? That's hard for me to believe."

"Please, Don." Dana choked. "Let me make this right; let me talk to her."

Don looked at Meryl as she shook her head. "Listen, Dana, she is busy with the babies right now; and I am not going to put her in a situation she doesn't want to be in, a situation I don't want her to be in. As usual, I see your feelings are more important than hers. I will give her your message. It is up to your sister whether or not she wants to talk to you. Dana, you have cried wolf too many times; but I will support my wife whatever she decides. However, if you EVER hurt my wife and children like you have these past 7 months you will have to answer to me."