Chapter 31

"Don!" Meryl gasped as Don pulled their rental SUV up to a large, snow covered, cabin on a cul de sac on Lake Champlain in Vermont. She couldn't believe he rented a place so large just for the 2 of them, and 2 babies. The trees and mountains were beautiful all snow covered. She couldn't help but notice the hot tub at the back of the cabin when they pulled up. "It is absolutely beautiful; and huge just for us."

Don winked at her as he parked the car and turned to her. "I couldn't find any place that was completely private so I rented out the surrounding houses."

"Donald Gummer!" Meryl gasped; she was shocked. Yes, it wasn't uncommon for them to reserve the hotel rooms surrounding theirs whenever they would stay at a hotel because of not wanting fans to bother them, or hear them; however, it was something else completely to rent out whole houses just so they would have privacy. "Baby, it is beautiful; and I love that you have done all of this for us but it really is just too much."

Don shook his head as he tucked her hair behind her ear. "First of all, nothing is ever too much for you. Darl, it has been a hellish week; hell, it hasn't even been a week since everything happened. My mother has put you through hell."

"She put US through hell." Meryl stopped him. "You have been put through hell as well this past week thanks to your mother and the paparazzi."

Don brushed his fingers across her stitches under her hair at her temple. "I am not the one who is still recovering from a severe concussion. I am not the one who had an allergic reaction to medication and was barely breathing. I want you to rest; I need you to rest. That is so incredibly important to me."

"I want you to rest, too." Meryl said strongly. "That is why I wanted us to get away in the first place; and my plan sure blew up in my face."

Don hated that she had been so excited about the surprise trip; and then his mother threw it in her face basically ruining her surprise for him. "It meant more to me than you know; now this time with the three of you means more to me than you know."

"Me too, baby." Meryl smiled tenderly at him. She really couldn't believe how absolutely tired she felt; but she didn't want to worry her husband. "I can't wait for this time with the three of you. Thank you for this trip."

Don winked at her as he looked up the code to the house on his phone. "Anything for my girl. Maggie actually helped me; and she had it arranged for the kitchen to be stocked, as well as extra supplies for the babies, so we don't even have to leave the house."

"A walk would be nice; and we have the babies' winter gear." Meryl pointed out. "I think the fresh air would do all of us good."

Don knew she was right; they used to always try to take a family ski trip every year. "Now the babies are obviously too little for outdoor activities on their own; however, there are snow shoes here. So at some point we could put them in the front packs and go snowshoeing."

"Such a smart man." Meryl winked at him. "Okay Gummer, show me this villa you rented out for us for the week."

Don placed a tender kiss on her lips. "Or longer; the world is at our finger tips, Mrs. Gummer."

***

Don convinced Meryl to go lay down with the babies in front of the fire as he unloaded the car. He made sure there were bassinets for the babies, and Pack'n'Plays as well as other infant essentials, where he had requested them. Once he unpacked them, setting up the baby video monitors where he knew he and Meryl wanted them, he went downstairs and smiled that Meryl had fallen asleep on the couch in front of the fire with the babies. After making them some lunch, he woke her up and after they ate he convinced her they should lay down upstairs while she nursed; and she quickly fell asleep again. That had been how the rest of the day played out; Meryl would wake up long enough to take care of the babies and then was asleep again. Don didn't mind, he wanted her to rest; but he would be lying if he said he wasn't worried.