Chapter 37

Don and Meryl soon found their amazingly relaxing vacation coming to an end. They both felt much more relaxed after their time together with the babies in Vermont; but as much as Meryl tried to hide it from her husband, she still wasn't anywhere near one hundred percent from her concussion. As much as he enjoyed the time with his wife and babies, he also knew Meryl needed a checkup and wanted that to happen as soon as they got home. He pointed out to Meryl that their romantic vacation could just become a romantic way of life once they get home; and though they knew it wouldn't be easy with all of the distractions of real life, they were going to do everything they could to make sure that would happen.

***
"Home sweet home." Meryl smiled happily as she pushed the stroller into their apartment and Don carried the suit cases in late in the morning. "This place smells clean."

Don winked at her with a kiss to her cheek. "Just one of the many surprises I have in store for you."

"Oh yeah?" Meryl's smile grew even larger as she looked at the table in the entry way and saw a beautiful bouquet of flowers with a card that read: I'm so glad we're home and that you are with me; because I am not truly home unless I'm with you and our family. I love you, D xxx. "Don baby, you are absolutely spoiling me."

Don put the suitcases down by the staircase and went over to pull her in his arms. "So? Is there a problem with that? You deserve to be pampered and spoiled and so much more."

"Don Man, I really am fine." Meryl assured him with a kiss to his lips. "You are the best damn husband in the world; and I would feel that way even if you hadn't made the kids come clean and ordered me the most beautiful flowers."

Don chuckled at his wife; of course she figured out that he had asked the kids to come clean. "I just really don't want you to do anything for a few days, well really, until Hal releases you which could be awhile; I want us to take re-entry slow. I can tell, you are still really struggling with your concussion. You can't hide from me."

"I would never want to hide from you." Meryl flirted with your husband. "Yeah, this damn concussion is still messing with me; and it's pissing me off. I'm so fucking tired of it."

Don tucked her hair behind her ear. "Baby, Hal said it could take months to get over." He tried not to laugh at the look on her face. "Hey, we're still having fun aren't we? It hasn't stopped your adventurous side if you know what I mean."

"I most certainly do." Meryl let out her dirty laugh as she kissed his lips. "And it won't. I just feel like you've put your life on hold..."

Don cut off what she was saying by pressing his lips to hers. "You, and our children, ARE my life. Besides, I'm on parental leave; and we're enjoying each other and our babies. Isn't that what parental leave is for?"

"It is." Meryl said grinning at him. "So...a nap later?"

Don wished they could. "That sounds amazing; but we should probably unpack and I have something to show you before we head to the hospital."

"The hospital?" Meryl was concerned. "What's going on?"

Don really hoped she didn't fight him on this. "I talked with Hal earlier while you were napping on the plane when he called to check on you; and when I told him that we were on our way home he said he would really like to see you. He's going to work you in over his lunch time."

"Oh?" Meryl wasn't at all surprised that her had arranged for her to go see their doctor. "So, you're trying to butter me up with a clean house and beautiful flowers?"

Don held her closer to him around her waist. "I had already arranged for all of that before I talked to Hal; but did it work?"

"I'll go." Meryl sighed. "Why does it have to be today?"