2 2 The Past Of Music

It was the 3rd century BCE, China was under one of the biggest epidemics it had ever faced. It was the end of the year and like all other years, it was the time to carry out the great Nuo exorcism ceremony.

Demons were flying in the sky, carrying their spears and holding their bundles of the reed. They had redheads with pointy horns and draped black clothes. Ten thousand of them flew at once shooting bows of peach wood all around. It was raining angel blood, and wherever the blood touched, the infection spread-- infallibly killing strong and the weak.

Men with flaming torches ran to the castle, begging the emperor to save them of this disaster who were spreading the red plague. The emperor called upon the fangxiangshi, Wujin Chen--With his helper spirit, Xian si. Wujin draped his ceremonial clothes and mask over his face. They reached the capital and Wujin shot a sparkling and streaming glare that chased the red plague to all sides; thereupon both he and his helper spirit, Xian, destroyed the felons in the imperial moats.

Wujin used paper amulets to start the cleansing of the city while Xian attacked the demons, struck at the wild and ferocious beings, cleaved sinuous snakes and beat out the brains of demons. Finally, they imprisoned them in the clear and chilly waters which later buried under the ground.

They cut asunder the khwei and the , as also the wang-siang; they mutilate the ye-chung, and exterminate the yiu-kwang. The eight spirits or the cardinal points of the universe thereby quiver from the mere name of the fangxiangshi.

He was born a demigod but raised as an exorcist in the most medieval parts of China. Nine priests taught him everything that he needed to know about the world and with a responsibility as big as this, he lived inside a shrine with over forty other people. Four kuángfū, eight diviners with six subordinates, two accountants, two scribes, two menials, and twenty runners. But he was closest to his helper spirit, Xian Si.

He was the one who ensured that the Yin and the Yang united harmoniously, and all beings and things thus are produced in due time. Despite ruling the fears of all demons, he had one weakness--Women!

"Where are you going?" Xian Si asked as he saw Wujin walking down the stairs of the shrine to reach the city.
"To meet Anho." Wujin smiled.
"We just finished the ceremony. Don't you think you should take some rest."
"I will... on Anho's lap!"

"Master Wujin, you are no ordinary mortal. You are a demigod and above that--A fangxiangshi. It's important for you to look after your responsibilities. You shouldn't be going to such places or meeting such women." Xiao was at it again but Wujin had left already.
He took a sigh, "He wouldn't listen, would he?"
"Oh, Xian is sighing? Seems like Wujin ran away again." It was the emperor Han.

Xian bowed and greeted the emperor.

"I'm afraid the master is away, bìxià, (Tn// Chinese honorific to address emperors)" Xian told him.
"It's alright. I'll come some other day."
"But bìxià came all the way here, I would feel bad if he just left. Allow me to play something for you."
"Oh Xian, that is a wonderful idea. I do know that you are the most skilled musician in China."

Xian smiled and raised his arms. His hands shone bright and created golden instruments that aligned themselves as a Chinese orchestra. He began conducting and produced a beautiful, traditional Chinese tune. Music that was way ahead of his time. He was the only musician who could play those instruments or produce such music.