23

"Ethan, say hello to my parents."

Your mother's smile was as wide as you've ever seen it. "So you're Ethan. (Y/n)'s told us a lot about you."

Ethan shook her hand. "And she's told me a lot about you. It's great to meet you." He turned to your father and shook his hand, as well. Your father spared him a brief smile.

You looked behind your parents and saw all of their bags in a pile near the couch. "Are you leaving already?"

Your father nodded. "Yeah. Sorry our visit was so short, but we have a few meetings with the doctor in a couple days that we can't be late for."

"Hospital stays and stuff like that?" He nodded, and your eyes started to fill with tears. "So... you guys don't really have much time left, do you?"

Your mother shook her head. "I'm afraid not, sweetie. I'm sorry." She gave you a hug, squeezing you tightly. "I'm sorry, (Y/n). I wish we could've visited under happier circumstances..."

You sniffed, pulling away. "It's fine, Mom. Don't worry about it. I'll be fine."

"I'm sure you will, with Ethan around." Your father gestured to him, then gave you a hug, as well. "I love you, sweetie. Don't ever forget it."

"I love you too, Dad." He squeezed you, then let you go.

"We should get going." Your mother stated. She grabbed her bags from the pile, kissed your cheek, and left before anyone could do anything.

"She's... not happy about leaving, either." Your father sighed. "I'll talk to her on the way home." He kissed your cheek, gave you one last quick hug, then left, as well.

"I'm sorry." Ethan said after a long moment of silence.

You sniffed, wiping your face. "It's okay. I'll be okay."

Ethan shook his head. "No, you won't."

You broke into sobs. "I won't..." You said quietly.

"I know." He pulled you into a hug, holding you tight while you cried into his shoulder. "I know it's hard. It'll all be okay. I promise."

You looked up at him. "I know. It just-" Your voice broke as you sobbed again. "It just hurts."

"I know, babe, I know." He kissed your hair. "It'll hurt for a while. But one day, the pain will go away and you can think about it without crying. I promise."

You nodded, sniffing. "I know."

Ethan smiled, wiping your cheeks. "Now, why don't we sit on the couch for a while? Maybe watch some TV?" You nodded, and he led you over to the couch and turned on the television, letting you pick what to watch. You turned to your favorite show, and the two of you sat, cuddling up to one another.

Eventually, Ethan stood up, turned the television off, and reached out to you. You took his hands, and he helped you stand up. He led you towards your bedroom and left to change in the bathroom. You quickly changed into pajama bottoms and a long-sleeved shirt before sliding into bed, facing towards the wall. After a moment, you heard the bathroom door open and felt Ethan sliding in behind you. He wrapped an arm around your waist, kissing your hair and neck. You sighed, hend his hand for a moment, then turned around.

"Thanks for being here, Ethan."

He smiled in the dim light. "You're welcome, babe. You know I'd do anything for you."

You rested your head against his chest. "Can we do this every night?"

He chuckled. "Only if you want to."

You lifted your head back up. "I want to."

You leaned forward and kissed him briefly before putting your head back on the pillow and falling asleep.