26

The move-in process started immediately. It took most of the day for the two of you to bring everything in, and through the next to sort everything out. Max and Ruby were happy to have another friend, and you were happy to be living with Ethan.

A week passed, and the two of you were as happy as ever. You woke up daily to breakfast, and went to bed feeling loved and cared for. Ethan, while busy with YouTube and editing for Mark, always found time for you.

The project with Mark has gone surprisingly well. The script took a shorter time to make than expected, and in three days it was completed. Mark was looking for professionals who cold help record it, and someone who could take the role of the detective. You couldn't wait until the recording process would start.

You've been taking editing lessons from Ethan and Kathryn, and already you can do almost as good as them. It was very easy, and you caught on quickly. Mark said within the next week, he could start sending you files to edit, and when the recording of the project came around, you would be the sole editor.

The working relationship between you, Kathryn, Mark, and Amy grew strong, and the dating relationship between you and Ethan was even stronger than before and kept growing. You couldn't wait for what the future had in store for all of you. You were at the highest of highs, and it felt like nothing could bring you down.

One day, Ethan had you in his office, and he was giving you a new editing lesson when your phone rang. You looked at the screen and saw it was your mother. You looked at Ethan, who nodded for you to answer. You did.

"Hello?" You asked. "Mom?"

"Is this (Y/n L/n)?" The person on the other end of the line asked. It wasn't your mother or your father.

"Yes, this is her."

"Hello. I'm Jessica, a nurse here at Franciscan Hospital. I'm calling regarding your parents."

Your heart stopped. "Are they okay? What happened?"

"Your father, Samuel, is undergoing surgery at this very moment to get the tumor out of his brain. The doctors aren't sure if he'll pull through, but we'll call and tell you if something happens."

"Okay, and why couldn't my mom call and say that?" You bit your lip, already knowing the answer.

"Because she has passed away." Your breath hitched in your throat. "At 3:28 this morning, she passed in her sleep. I believe her family will be putting together funeral arrangements soon."

"Okay." Your voice almost cracked. "Thank you for letting me know."

"Of course. And remember, we'll be calling you back again with an update on your father. We'll be using the hospital phone this time, so be on the lookout for an unfamiliar number calling you."

"I will. Thank you, Jessica." You hung up the phone and turned to Ethan.

He looked at you closely, seeing the tears building up in the corners of your eyes. "Babe?" He whispered. "What happened?"

You burst into tears. "My mom passed away this morning."

Ethan was still for a moment before wrapping his arms around you, rocking you from side to side as you cried into his shoulder. "It's okay. It'll all be okay. I know it hurts now. It will for a while. But eventually it won't."

You sniffed. "The worst part is, I knew this would come." You pulled away, wiping at your cheeks. "And they're going to call be back with an update on my dad. They're doing surgery on him, and they don't know if he'll survive."

Ethan carefully took one of your hands, squeezing it lightly and slowly rubbing his thumb across the back of it. "Okay. You can do it, babe. You can make it until then. Just relax, and try not to think about it, okay?" You nodded, and he leaned over, kissing your cheek. "You are the strongest woman I know. Never forget that."

You closed your eyes and took a deep, shaky breath. "I love you, Ethan."

He kissed your lips. "I love you too, (Y/n)."