42

You walked into your apartment, looking around at everything as if you were just seeing it for the first time. You breathed in the lingering smell of coffee and candle wax and stared at the pictures and memorabilia around the living room.

Ethan smiled at you, putting down the last empty box. "It's not like you'll never see all of this again. We're just moving it to the new house."

You walked over to the couch, dragging your fingers lightly over the cushions. "This is where I saw Ruby's picture on Twitter. I rescued her, remember?" Ethan nodded. "She was just a puppy, maybe two or three months old, but she looked so beaten and dirty already. I just knew I had to save her." You looked at a spot in front of the television. "And that's where I found Max's picture on Twitter. Ruby was next to me and saw it. She looked so happy and excited, I had to save him, too."

Ethan nodded again. "You had a lot of memories here, didn't you?"

"Three years' worth." You walked over to the doorway. "I was standing right here when I opened my acceptance letter to UCLA." You nodded towards the kitchen. "And in there making dinner when I got my first text from you."

"That's a pretty important memory." Ethan teased. "Tell me more."

You smiled softly. "I just finished cooking the noodles for spaghetti when my phone vibrated on the counter. I wiped my hands on a towel and picked it up to see a text from an unknown number directed to a Kathryn. I answered back saying they had the wrong number, and went on with finishing dinner." You walked into the small kitchen. "The next day, I was in here eating breakfast when I got another text from the same number. Later, on the same day, I met him during one of my shifts." You looked up at Ethan, who was staring at you intently. "I don't know how, but in that moment, I knew that he wasn't going to leave."

"You're right. I won't." He approached you, pulling you into a tight hug. You let your head fall onto his shoulder for a long moment until you felt him pull away. He stared lovingly into your eyes before planting a soft kiss on your lips. "I love you, (Y/n)."

"I love you, too."

The two of you stayed like that for a while until Ethan spoke up again. "We should start packing."

You nodded. "You're right. Let's get to work."

The packing process took longer than expected, and when everything was situated, your realtor arrived at the door. You talked to him briefly to explain the situation, and he was understanding. You signed some papers, then you and Ethan carried the boxes out to the car. You had decided to make two trips to pick everything up when Mark and Amy arrived with the dogs. They put everything else into the back of their car, and you all made your way back to the house together, where Joshua was waiting outside with a smile.

"It seems like you have everything under control." He stated as you approached him.

"I think so. Don't worry, Uncle Joshua. I'll take care of Rose."

"I know you will." He hugged you for a long moment. "Stay out of trouble. Don't get hurt again."

"I won't, I promise." He let you go, spared you another smile, then left in his car.

"Come on, (Y/n)." Amy said as she approached you, placing a hand softly on your shoulder. "Let's get everything inside."

It took the rest of the day to get everything inside and placed exactly like you wanted it. You ordered pizza for everyone, and sat outside by the pool to eat it as everyone talked and listen to music. Mark started a bonfire in the fire pit as soon as it was dark, and you handed out glasses of lemonade to everyone.

"This has been the best day ever." Rose sighed as she looked up at the stars with Mark.

"It really has." Amy agreed from her pool chair.

"I just can't believe that this is all ours..." You muttered. "This place is amazing."

Ethan looked up at you from his spot in the grass, buried under the dogs. "Yeah, it is. But, hey! At least you get to share it with me and Rose, your favorite people!"

You giggled. "Yeah, you're right." You leaned back in the pool chair next to Amy and closed your eyes, basking in the warmth you felt from the night air and the feeling that never left from being with your friends- family, even- that needed you most.

You were grateful that your mother sent you back. You couldn't leave them. Not then, not now.