30

"Are you okay? You just left for no reason yesterday."

You laughed slightly, touched by Sabrina's concern. "Yeah, sorry about that. The phone call that I got was... surprising."

"What happened? What was it about?"

"I..." You took a deep breath. "My parents. They both... passed away." The line was silent for a long time. "Are you still there?"

"Yeah, sorry. Just... processing. I'm so sorry, (Y/n)."

"I am, too. That's why they came to visit, although it was brief. They wanted to tell me what was going on. And then... I got the phone calls. They're... gone."

Silence again, then, "Oh, (Y/n)."

You winced at the concern in her voice. "It's fine. I'm fine."

"No you're not. I'm coming over. Right now."

"Sabrina, no-"

"Don't even try to argue. I have your favorite ice cream. Two gallons of it. Do you want it or not."

You looked at Ethan. "Cancel plans. Movie night with Sabrina. She's bringing ice cream."

Ethan laughed. "Only you would cancel a date for ice cream."

"Shut up, we planned another one for tomorrow anyways."

"True. Okay, I'll cancel plans."

You grinned. "Plan's on, Sabrina. Get over here in 15 minutes and you'll get to pick what we watch."

"On my way. See you soon."

You hung up and turned to Ethan. "Sorry, I couldn't resist. She's bringing two gallons of ice cream."

He sat down next to you on the couch. "It's fine. It's good for you to hang out with friends." Ruby walked up, resting her head on Ethan's leg. He grinned, scratching behind her ears. "Even if you have me and three dogs here with you."

You giggled. "Ya know, sometimes it's good to have company. Helps take your mind off of stuff. Besides, I have to make up for leaving early yesterday."

"You don't have to make up for anything, but whatever you say. Just one thing- even if Sabrina asks, absolutely no alcohol. I'll be watching."

"I know, I know. You don't have to remind me."

He kissed your cheek. "We'll have fun without it. Don't worry."

You smiled. "Yeah, you're right."