43

Babe.

You barely heard the word, being buried under layers of exhaustion. You felt like you were floating in inky blackness, and your eyes were too heavy to open.

(Y/n). Wake up.

You tried to move, and found that you couldn't. You tried opening your eyes again, and got halfway there.

If you don't get up right now I'm going to lay on you.

You moved your head to the side, fluttering your eyes open. You caught a glimpse of an unfamiliar large dresser pressed against an equally unfamiliar wall before your eyes closed again.

"(Y/n), wake up!"

You screamed, sitting up quickly, and paying the price for it when you felt a sharp pain in your abdomen, where stitches and scars were still healing.

"Shit, sorry!" Ethan said, wincing. "I didn't mean to scare you, I just wanted you to wake up."

You put a hand on your abdomen, moving into a more comfortable position. "It's fine, don't worry about it. What's up?"

"We have to go to the office, remember? We talked about it last night. Mark wanted to talk to you about another project."

You nodded. "Yeah, I remember." You then widened your eyes. "What about Rose? Should we just leave her here?"

"Then no, you don't remember." Ethan smirked. "You were probably still high on painkillers. Speaking of which-" He grabbed an orange medicine bottle off of the nightstand, shook a pill into his palm, and handed it to you. You swallowed it dry. "Anyways. Mark told us last night that we can bring her along, as long as she promised not to go snooping around and listen in on your and Mark's conversation."

You nodded. "Oh. Right. Sorry."

"It's fine." Ethan leaned over and kissed your forehead. "Now get up. I'm cooking breakfast in five minutes."

You smiled. "What would I do without you?"

"Probably be in a lot less pain."

You giggled. "Go, so I can get changed."

He leaned over, briefly kissing your lips. "Right. Breakfast. Hurry up." He left the room.

You sat up on the bed, stretching, before climbing out and getting dressed. You threw on a pair of jean shorts and a long sleeve shirt Ethan had bought you, styled your hair into a messy bun, then made your way downstairs.

The smell of fresh coffee and bacon hit you when you stepped off the last step. You turned the corner and spotted Rose sitting at the island, watching Ethan as he transferred food onto three separate plates and poured two mugs of coffee and a glass of orange juice. He looked up at you and smiled. "Nice shirt, sexy."

You giggled. "Same goes for you, hottie."

"Oh my God, can we not?" Rose groaned. "I'm sitting right here."

Ethan handed her a plate and the glass of orange juice. "Eat up. We've got a busy day today." Rose stared at the plate for a long moment. "It's not poisoned, if that's what you're thinking." Rose gave a brief nod, picked up her fork, and hesitantly started shoving food into her mouth.

You grabbed one of the mugs of coffee. "Thanks for breakfast, Ethan."

"It's no big deal." He took a bite of his own food. "Just doing what a good boyfriend should do." He leaned over and kissed your cheek.

"Again, right here!"

You giggled. "Stop hiding it, Rose- you're silently shipping us."

Rose grinned. "You can see right through me, can't ya?"

You grinned back. "Always."

Ethan laughed. "You two are weird."

"Isn't that what siblings are supposed to act like?" Rose asked him.

Siblings. Right. Almost forgot.

Ethan checked the time on his phone, then hurriedly finished his plate. "Come on, we gotta go!"

You looked over at Rose, who's smile fell. "Are you okay?"

She looked up at you and gave a small smile. "Yeah. I'm fine. Just not hungry. And still a bit traumatized, I guess. I'm still not over Mom and Dad yet."

You nodded. "Yeah, me either. It'll get easier, though. It always does."

She nodded, too. "I believe you." She drank the rest of her orange house and took another bite of her food before jumping up. "Alright, let's go."

You took care of the dishes as Ethan ran upstairs to get your backpacks. He handed it to you when you finished and smiled. "Ready to go?"

You nodded, taking the bag and slipping it over your shoulders. "Yeah. Let's go."

The three of you left the house towards your new adventure together.