Chapter 26

Present.
MARSHALL'S POV.

The light reflects warmly and angelic like over his hair as he looks at me from his moment of silence. His eyes are a golden brown and filled with a love that's awkward, but joyous from him. Two emotions he rarely shares considering his life, but come on. He is the love of my life and soon it'll only be the two of us... and the one I'm keeping from him.

Damn. I never saw that coming, this bitch is pregnant. I don't know what the fuck her patents are gonna do about her being nineteen and pregnant. I know I would be pissed if Hailie ever came to me with that. I should probably explain what I'm doing before I sound cookier than normal.

Since Miah still isn't back from the store I've been going through her notebooks and shit from high school reading the short stories and scripts stuffed away and forgotten by her. A lot of them are like five pages long, but this one is fifteen and I'm into it like I was with Breaking Bad when it came out.

It's called Faint and it's about a girl named Allie trying to help her boyfriend, Parker, kick his addiction before she makes some big final decision about college. Yeah I really thought my boy would just die when he overdosed a few paragraphs back, but now he's a dad and doesn't know it yet.

Being addicted to drugs as a father figure is one of the shittiest things that I've ever done. I can't explain the horrified look in Hailie's eyes every time I told her I was just gonna be in the bathroom for a minute. She was upset and lonely and confused- and I just left her to figure it all out on her own. I mean we're getting better with our relationship. She calls me every day and tells me about stuff and she'll invite me to things... I gotta start pushing myself harder to go, but things are looking up.

I should probably give her a call sometime today before I forget or write it on my hand or something- unless that vibrating is her now.

My eyes look down at my phone propped on top of another one of Miah's notebooks vibrating and lighting up with Paul's name drawn across the screen. Ah shit. I was supposed to call him about setting up another session with Joyner. Fuck me.

"Hey man."

"Hey where the hell are you?"

"Maryland, with Miah's parents."

"You didn't wanna record this so bad you left the state- that's hardcore Slim."

"No I forgot."

"It's fine I'll call back and get everything settled. How's meeting the parents going?"

"Okay I guess they haven't talked to me and they're waiting for Miah to get back from the store."

"She left you there with them."

"Yeah."

"Is she mad at you something."

"No I mean I don't think so."

"You better find out if you want that thing to go smoothly this week."

"I know."

"You have it."

"Yes."

"Where is it?"

"Right now it's in my wallet at the hotel."

"You better not lose it."

"I won't I said I know where it is didn't I-"

I look up from staring at the floor at Miah's parents leaning into her doorway both watching me with different expressions. I let my face soften and stare back afraid to look away from the dark brown eyes I've seen a thousand times, but haven't feared like this since I asked her on our first date.