Chapter 8

Parkland Memorial Hospital

Jackie Kennedy’s room

12:45pm

“Everything will be okay Jackie, I promise.” Jack said rubbing her hands.

Jackie nodded. “I know, I have you.”

Jack kissed her cheek.

“Jack I know we both really wanted another child but I was thinking….. If I hadn’t had a miscarriage we’d have been in the motorcade….you could have been shot. I could have lost you….”

“I’m not going anywhere Jackie….I promise.”

She smiled and leaned back against the pillows. “Are you tired kid?”

“A little.”

“You should get some sleep.” Jack said stroking her hair.

“Ok bunny.”

He kissed her.

Jack watched till she drifted into a sleep. He quietly got up and made his way out into the hall. Clint was standing with a few other agents. “Is there any news on Lyndon?” Jack asked ruffling his hair.

“We don’t know Sir; he’s just been rushed in. He’s in the trauma room.”

Jack looked down at the floor before looking Clint back in the eye. “Ok….I’m just going to the bathroom.”

He went into a stall and broke down in tears. How could this have happened? Why did Jackie have to lose the baby? Why did Lyndon have to be shot? Why couldn’t things just be alright?

After he’d composed himself he went to look in the mirror. His eyes were red and he had bags under his eyes. His hair was a mess he looked like he’d been through the wars. He sighed as he pulled a comb out of his pocket to fix his hair.

He was standing when Kenny burst in. “Jack? What happened? Why weren’t you in the motorcade? The secret service wouldn’t tell us!” Kenny exclaimed.

“Jackie’s had a miscarriage.” Jack said weakly.

Kenny’s mouth dropped. “Mate I’m so sorry…..I didn’t even know she was pregnant.”

“No one did apart from me.”

“I’m really sorry.”

Jack nodded. “What’s Lyndon’s situation?”

“I don’t know, no one will tell us anything. Ladybirds really upset.”

“Come on lets go find out.”

Kenny nodded and followed his boss out.