Chapter 13

7pm

Jack’s Private Study, the residence

Jackie had just gone for a bath but Jack needed to get out for a bit. He was standing at his desk, he was angry and frustrated.

In a fit of anger he shoved everything off his desk and started chucking pens and papers at the wall. Suddenly the door opened, Pierre ducked just in time so he didn’t get hit. “Mr President….. do you have a minute?”

Jack looked up he hadn’t noticed his press secretary. Pierre was standing watching him when Jack slumped down into his chair and cried. He hid his face in his knee. It wasn’t till he felt a hand on his shoulder he looked up. “Jack, things will get better.” Pierre said awkwardly.

“When?”

“Soon I promise.”

“Really? I’ve lost two children this year and nearly the VP.”

Pierre didn’t know what to say.

“I’m sorry I shouldn’t have said that.” Jack said sitting up. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok I understand its hard sir.”

Jack nodded. “Take the night of Pierre.”

“Ok sir.”

Once he was alone he sunk back down into his chair. He just hoped his week at the cape would help him and Jackie.

9pm

When Jack returned to his and Jackie’s room she was lying in bed reading. She had tears streaming down her face. “Kid it’s okay.” Jack said sitting down beside her.

“Jack how are we meant to reply to these letters….I mean look at what Princess Grace said.”

“Jackie….we shouldn’t look at these just now.”

Jackie nodded and put the sympathy cards down on the nightstand. She rolled close to her husband and rested her head on his chest. She could feel him stroking her hair. “We need to be cheerful for John tomorrow.” Jack said.

“I know bunny.”

“I promise we’ll have a private break at the Cape.”

Jackie nodded and stopped crying. “On the way could we stop at Patrick’s grave?”

“Sure kid.” Jack replied. “Now let’s get some sleep.”

“Ok night bunny.”

“Night kid.”