Chapter 34

Wednesday 29th July 1964

New York

Jackie had cut her activities but had agreed to be in New York for the first debate. This would be her first appearance since the convention and probably her last before the birth. Jack was on route from Washington DC.

When Air Force One landed Jack walked down the steps. Before he could comprehend what was happening someone rushed into his arm and tried to tackle him to the ground. “Hey Jack.”

Jack laughed. “Hiya Redhead.”

Red Faye looked up. “Sorry did I ruffle the President’s suit.”

“You’re always up to no good.”

“Jackie asked me to come and meet you; she’s waiting at the Carlyle.”

“Is she fat yet?”

“No but her bump is growing.” Red smiled.

“Good answer.”

The Carlyle Hotel

3pm

When Jack walked into his suite Jackie rushed into his arms. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too.” Jack replied as he kissed her head.

“Are you ready for tonight?” Jackie asked.

“Yeah but I’m going for a sleep first.”

“Did you not sleep on the plane?”

“I did but I’m tired the campaign’s been hard going.”

Jackie nodded. “Ok I’ll go change.”

When he woke Jackie was sitting in front of him in a beautiful black dress that hid her baby bump. Her hair was also brushed back.

He got up and put a black suit on with a blue tie. Jackie came up behind him and fixed his collar. “Thanks kid.”

“Bunny are you alright your awful pale?”

“I’m fine kid honest.”

Jackie nodded as she picked up her bag.

Once they were in the car Jack sat back and watched as the city flew past him. Without looking he put his hand on Jackie’s bump. She smiled and placed her hand on top of his. They turned and smiled at each other.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Suddenly Jack jumped. “Jackie! Jackie! Did you feel that?” Jack exclaimed.

She smiled broadly. “Yes bunny I did.”

“Jerry! Jerry!”

The young agent turned round. “Sir is everything alright?”

“You have to feel this.” Jack said placing the agents hand on Jackie’s bump.

She was in hysterics seeing Jack so excited. Jerry looked rather awkward.

“Jack stop scaring Jerry.”

He laughed and let go off Jerry’s hand. “Sorry.”

“Its fine Sir, my wife’s actually pregnant too.”

“When were you going to tell us?” Jack enquired.

“Soon….”

“Congratulations Jerry.” Jackie smiled.

“Thank you Mrs Kennedy.”