Chapter 23

Wednesday 25th December 1963

Christmas Day

12pm

Jack had quietly snuck away from the festivities in the living room to his study. He closed the door and picked up the phone. “Merry Christmas, can you put me through to the Vice President please?” Jack asked the white house operator.

“Thank you Mr President, the lines ringing.”

Jack waited till he heard the receiver being lifted. “Hello?”

“Hello Ladybird? It’s Jack.”

“Oh Merry Christmas Mr President.”

“Thank you, is Lyndon there?” Jack asked as he twirled the cable.

“Yes I’ll hand you over.”

“Hello Lyndon?”

“Hi Jack.” Lyndon said in his now quiet voice.

“How are you?”

“I’m getting better; I was able to walk for a bit yesterday.”

“That’s good; I’m just phoning to wish you and Ladybird a merry Christmas.”

“Thank you; give Jackie and the children my best.” Lyndon replied.

“I will thank you.”

After Jack hung up he went back to the living room, Nanny Shaw had taken the kids to get ready for lunch. He found Jackie sitting on the floor with a cup of coffee. He gently sat down beside her.

“The kids seemed to love their presents.” Jack whispered.

“Yeah I’ve never seen them so happy.”

Jackie suddenly got up and moved on to his knee. She gingerly kissed his lips. “When do you have to make your speech?”

“Three.”

Jackie smiled. “I better help you get dressed.”

Jack laughed and helped her up.

Once they were in their room Jackie left a shirt and a pair of blue jeans out for him. Jack came out the shower and stared at her. “Jackie….You want me to go on TV wearing this?”

Jackie grinned. “Yes…..It shows the nation your normal.”

Jack chuckled. “Ok then, what jumper should I wear?”

“This one.” Jackie replied pulling a red and white Christmas jumper.

“Ok just for you.”

Jackie smiled.

2:45pm

Jack walked into the communications office where his speech would be broadcast from. The press and Pierre just looked at him. “Jack please tell me you’re not wearing that.” Pierre said.

Jack smiled. “Jackie picked it; she said it made me look sexy.”

“Ok…ok fine, where’s your speech so I can check it?”

“Oh I don’t have a speech I was just going to talk.”

“JACK!”

“Pierre, relax its fine.”

Pierre stormed out and from the window Jack could see him panicking. “Honestly I’ll be fine.” Jack said to the camera crew. They nodded doubtfully.

As the camera man counted down Jack sat down in his chair behind a desk.

“Good afternoon my fellow Americans, this Christmas day we should be thankful for a lot of things. I’m thankful to the staff at Parkland hospital in Dallas for not just the care they gave my wife but for saving the life of Lyndon.”

“I was told to mention a bunch of things in this speech but every year I say the same thing but this year after a lot of tragedy and sadness in my life I think we all have to rely on one thing – Faith. Without it, it would be hard to come back from these unhappy events. So this Christmas day from my family to yours have a merry Christmas, good night and God bless.” Jack said.

After the camera light went off Jack went and joined his family in the living room. They were sitting hunched round the TV. “Bunny that was great.” Jackie smiled.

“Thank you.” Jack said sitting down.

John crawled on to his knee. “I love you Daddy.”

“I love you to son.”