Chapter 4

The Kennedy’s Suite

Texas Hotel, Fort Worth

Jackie was standing in front of the mirror in her room adjusting her suit and hat. Jack had just left to give his speech. She was about to button her jacket when all she could hear was chanting. “JACKIE! JACKIE! JACKIE! JACKIE!” She walked over to the window. Jack was standing on the stage trying to get them to quieten down but he loved the reception they were giving his wife. She smiled as she watched him.

After some time Clint Hill appeared, Jackie was sitting on the bed staring into space. “Mrs Kennedy?”

She snapped out of her thoughts quickly and turned to look at Mr Hill. “Yes?”

“We’re ready for you.”

“Ok.”

She began walking down to the ballroom. “Are you alright Mrs Kennedy?” Clint asked as they walked.

“I’m fine, you?”

“I’m very well thank you.”

Jackie smiled.

When they reached the ballroom the doors opened Clint walked in ahead of Jackie, she felt slightly embarrassed but when she looked up she saw her husband smiling broadly at the podium. She smiled back.

Once she was on the stage Jack kissed her cheek. “You look ravishing.”

“Thank you bunny.”

Jack turned back to the audience. “Two years ago, I introduced myself in Paris by saying that I was the man who had accompanied Mrs. Kennedy to Paris. I am getting somewhat that same sensation as I travel around Texas. Nobody wonders what Lyndon and I wear.”

The audience laughed and Jack continued with his speech. Jackie couldn’t take her eyes of him. Once he’d finished he sat down and they began to eat.

“You were great.”

“Thanks kid.”

“Turn round a minute; I need to fix your tie.”

“Ok.”

Jackie was fixing his tie when he noticed she was shaking. “Jackie, are you feeling okay?”

“Oh yes I’m fine.”

Jack nodded and turned back to his food.

After the breakfast they headed outside to head for Air Force One. Jackie waved to the crowds happily before sitting down beside Governor Connelly. Jack soon joined them.

“The sun’s came out for you today Mr President.” Governor Connelly called.

“I think it came out for my wife, so she didn’t get her hair wet.”

Jackie blushed.

There was a strong crowd till they reached the airport.