Chapter 6

The Presidential Limousine

The Motorcade had soon come to a halt. The secret service quickly got the Connelly’s out of the car and in to the VP’s limousine.

Jack was holding his wife tightly his shirt was getting wet but he didn’t really care, he needed to know Jackie was okay. “Sh kid it’s going to be okay.” Jack said rubbing her back. He kissed the top of her head as the car sped off. More agents were in the car now; Lyndon was to give his speech at the Trade Market.

When they arrived at Parkland Memorial Hospital the secret service ran in to get help. Jackie was a mess, she had mascara all down her cheeks but she was in agonizing pain. Soon nurses appeared and helped the First Lady up. Jack never let go of her hand but it was obvious she’d begun to bleed.

As they rushed into an emergency room in the maternity wing Jack was kept waiting in the corridor, he was fidgeting. Clint was standing nearby. “Clint I’m sorry we didn’t tell you, we were keeping it quiet for now.” Jack said trying to hold back the worry in his voice.

“Sir I completely understand, it’s a private issue between husband and wife.”

Jack nodded but he soon started pacing.

After half an hour a doctor appeared. “Mr President, Can I speak with you in the waiting room please.”

Jack nodded and followed the doctor.

Once the door was shut he started firing questions. “Is my wife okay?”

“Mr President, Mrs Kennedy lost a lot of blood but she’ll be okay, tired and sore but she’ll make a full recovery.” The doctor replied.

Jack could see the uneasiness in his eyes. “What…..what about the baby?”

“I’m really sorry Mr President but the baby didn’t make it.”

Jack covered his mouth with his hand and rubbed it. He slowly nodded his head before trying to regain some composure. “Does my wife know?”

“Not yet Sir, she’s asleep.”

“Ok….”

The doctor nodded before leaving.

Jack sank down into one of the chairs and began to cry, he knew he shouldn’t have made her come on this trip. This was his fault. How was Jackie going to deal with this so soon after losing Patrick?

Once he’d semi composed himself he silently walked past his agents to Jackie’s room. He went and stood in front of the window, watching the world go by, how could God do this to people? Jack felt more tears building in his eyes, he tried to wipe them away but it was no use, he sobbed openly for the first time since Patrick’s death.