Chapter 36

9pm

When Bobby walked back into his brother’s dressing room, Jack was lying asleep on the sofa under a blanket. Jackie was at his side playing with his hair.

“You did well Bobby.”

“We’re in shit Jackie…..we’re going to have to come clean about the Addison’s.”

“I know but I want him to come home and rest for a few days.”

Bobby nodded. “What do we do?”

“We start by telling the staff who are outside including Pierre, go get them in here.”

“Ok.”

When everyone came in they kind of looked at Jack who was now sitting up. “We have something to tell you all.” Jackie said.

“I have Addison’s disease.” Jack blurted out. “We need to tell them because that’s why I just walked off stage.”

His staff nodded and got to work. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you.”

“Sir it’s your health problem it’s never easy to tell anyone anything especially what’s wrong with you.” Pierre replied.

Jack nodded. “Give the statement to Bobby and tell them I’ll do a press conference when I get back to Washington.”

9:30pm

Bobby and Jack’s staff went out to the front of the building to explain what had happened and to tell them about the Addison’s disease; it was just Jack and Jackie. “We’ve lost it now.”

“Jack how can you possibly know that?”

“They’ll accuse me of lying which isn’t a good quality of a president.”

“Jack it hasn’t bothered you in years, it’s because you’ve been under so much stress with the campaign they will understand.”

Jack shrugged and stood up. His shirt was crumpled and his tie was hanging off his neck. “I just want to get back to the Carlyle.”

“Come on then.”

Jackie took his arm and they tried to walk discreetly to the car while Bobby made his statement but they were quickly noticed. Jack ignored them and got into the car. He’d blown it now.

The Kennedy’s Suite

The Carlyle

10:30pm

While Dr Travell was checking him over Jack was focused on the TV. The reporter kept talking about the recent revelation. “So what will happen now? Will President Kennedy be able to gain out trust again?” The reporter asked.

He switched the TV off and closed his eyes. “Can I just quit now? I don’t want to face them.”

“Sir don’t worry about anything, I mean look at FDR he was ill and he helped us survive the war and then Winston Churchill wasn’t the healthiest. Don’t give up Jack, you have Addison’s, Addison’s doesn’t have you.”

Jack nodded. “Thanks Janet.”

Once she’d left he crawled into bed beside his wife. Jackie was already asleep. It didn’t take him long to fall asleep either.