Chapter 25

Thursday 23rd January 1964

West Virginia

Presidential Limousine

Jack and Jackie were sitting in a bulletproof car waving to the crowds that had lined the streets.

When Jackie wasn’t looking Jack placed his hand on top of hers. “I’m glad you came with me.”

Jackie turned and smiled at him. “I’m glad I came too.”

Jack smiled.

“Mr President I think you have a few supporters down here.” Jerry said from the front.

Jack laughed. “I agree with you there.”

When they arrived at the community centre Jack held the door for his wife. The crowd erupted when Jackie stepped out of the car. She smiled graciously before taking her husband’s hand.

“We’ll win this hands down, Goldwater doesn’t stand a chance.” Jackie whispered.

Jack smiled. “I hope so kid, I hope so.”

“You have five minutes to freshen up before speaking.” An aide said as he guided them into a back room.

“Thanks.”

Jack was standing fixing his hair and tie in the mirror while Jackie was in the bathroom. He was just taking his back medicine when Jackie emerged. “Do you have an aspirin or pain relief or something?” Jackie asked.

“Yes….why?”

“I have a headache.”

Jack nodded and handed her a tablet. She swallowed it before fixing her hair. “I was thinking when we have time we could maybe have a look at the leaflets I got on adopting.” Jackie said as she powdered her nose.

“Sure kid, that sounds good.”

“Do I look okay?”

“You look ravishing.”

Jackie blushed. “Thank you.”

When they got on the stage, Jack went to the podium and started to speak. Jackie was watching the crowd they all had their eyes on her husband listening to what he was saying.

“I’ll now take questions.” Jack said.

As people began asking him questions about what he would do if he was re-elected Jackie couldn’t help but look him up and down. He was just so handsome in her mind.

“Mr President, will you and Mrs Kennedy be having another child?”

Jack was a taken back but soon focused again. “I don’t know, we haven’t talked about it.”

After half an hour he and Jackie left the stage. Jack placed his hand on Jackie’s back as they walked down the steps. “You did well bunny.”

“Aw thanks kid.”

As they walked out to their car the press kept taking pictures. Jackie smiled and got into the car and took Jack’s hand. “Jack, are you feeling okay?” Jackie asked quietly.

“I feel kind of sick and my stomach’s sore.” Jack replied.

Jackie’s eyes were bold now. “Jerry can you pull over but discreetly.”

“Sure.”

“Jackie?”

“Jack you need your injection.”

He nodded and let Jackie administer it. “Thanks.”