Chapter 16

Jack and Jackie’s Bedroom

Tuesday 26th November 1963

Jack jumped awake. He realised he was sweating and shaking. He quickly sat up and rubbed his face. Had that just happened? He ran a hand down his arm and found he had goose bumps.

Jackie was lying silently asleep so he got up and headed downstairs. He opened the front door and kind of staggered out in shock. He turned to one of the agents. “Do you have any cigarettes?”

“Eh yes sir, here.”

“Thanks.”

Jack quickly lit it and puffed away, he was still shaking. He made his way to the bench and sat down just staring out at the sea.

“Kevin its 3am should one of us not make sure he’s okay?” Hector asked.

“Maybe…”

“You go.”

Kevin nodded and made his way to the President. “Excuse me Mr President but are you okay?”

Jack turned and looked up. “Yes I’m fine.”

“Sir its 3am…”

“I know!” Jack exclaimed as he put the cigarette out. He quickly went back inside.

Instead of going straight back up to bed, he went and kissed Caroline and John. When he got back into bed Jackie was lying awake. “Are you okay bunny?”

“Yes.”

“Ok.” Jackie said wrapping her arms round him.

10am

Jack had tossed and turned most of the night. He hadn’t properly got back to sleep till after six.

Jackie woke to find Jack snoring; she left him and went downstairs to start on breakfast. Much to her surprise she found a note. “Mrs Kennedy, from instructions from the Attorney General I’ve take the kids to his house, he said he’d be over soon, thanks Maud Shaw.”

Jackie paused, why had Bobby taken the kids to his?

She made breakfast and went and sat in the living room. She was about to switch the TV on when Joan and Bobby burst into the house. “OK KENNEDY’S UP NOW!” Bobby yelled.

“Bobby, what in the world?” Jackie asked running into the hall.

“We’re going to help cheer you and Jack up!” Bobby replied. “Where is he?”

“Still in bed, he had a restless night.”

Bobby nodded and headed upstairs.

“Right Jackie get dressed we’re going to have a day in town.” Joan smiled.

“Oh Joan I don’t feel like going out.” Jackie sighed.

“Jackie you need to it will help you.”

“Oh ok.”

Joan smiled and followed her sister and law upstairs to the walk in wardrobe.

Bobby was sitting on the bed beside his brother. “JACK! GET YOUR ASS UP NOW!”

Jack jumped awake and glared at his brother. “No.”

“Jack come on we’re going sailing just the two of us.”

“No Bobby.”

“Stop being a stubborn ass and get up.” Bobby exclaimed.

“No.”

“JACK!”

Jack rolled over and pulled the pillow over his head. “Jack?”

“I don’t want to go outside.” Jack replied.

“Jack you need to, you need to go out.” Bobby said gently.

“I don’t want too, I don’t want to be President, I don’t want the damn secret service and I don’t want to be here!”