Chapter 30

Wednesday 13th May 1964

A Hotel in Boston

8pm

Jack was exhausted; he’d just flown in from Florida. He was determined to spend some alone time with Jackie.

As they walked into the hotel Jack kept a tight grip on his wife’s hand. Bobby and Ethel were behind them as were the rest of his campaign staff and aides.  

As they hurried up the stairs Kenny appeared. “So I was thinking we could discuss tomorrow’s schedule.”

“No I’m going to my room and no one is going to disturb us.”

Kenny nodded and watched as the First Couple went into their room. Jack locked the door before going into the bathroom.

Jackie kicked her shoes off and lay down on the bed. She felt like she had no energy it was horrible but she wasn’t going to tell Jack that.

When he entered the room he flopped down beside her on the bed. “You look beautiful.”

“Thank you.”

He rolled over so he was lying half on top of her. He was kissing her passionately and deeply and stroking her leg when she moaned. He was moving further up her body when Jackie pushed him off her. “Jackie?” Jack asked concerned.

“Something doesn’t feel right.”

“What?”

“I don’t feel right.” Jackie said sitting up.

“Do you want to go to hospital?” Jack asked standing up.

“Yeah I seriously don’t feel well.”

“Ok.”

Jack grabbed his coat and helped Jackie to her feet before opening the door. She looked in pain. “Mr President?” Clint asked.

“We need to go to hospital without the press.” Jack said.

Clint nodded and sprang into action. They went down the back way to the car and soon were on route to the Boston Hospital.

“Jackie are you okay?”

“I’ll be fine, the pains died down now but God it was sore.”

“We’ll still get you checked out.” Jack said rubbing her arm. She nodded.

When they arrived at the hospital they were ushered into a private room. “I’m Doctor French.” The doctor said shaking Jack’s hand. “Could you please wait outside?”

“Of course.” Jack said before going to sit in the waiting room.

After forty five minutes, Jackie was lying in the bed. She was still a little uncomfortable but she felt a bit better. Eventually the doctor reappeared. “Mrs Kennedy I’ve found what’s wrong with you from the tests we did. I haven’t told your husband yet I think you might want too.”

Jackie hesitated. “Why? What’s wrong with me?”

“This might come as a bit of a shock.”

“Damn it! Tell me already!” Jackie exclaimed.

Doctor French Fidgeted. “Your five months pregnant.”