Chapter 21

Monday 4th December 1963

The White House

This was Jack’s first day back since the miscarriage; he’d made sure Jackie was never to be left alone so Lee was with her today.

Jack had just walked into the outer office when Mrs Lincoln appeared. “Good morning Mr President, it’s nice to have you back.”

“Thank you.” Jack said before continuing in.

Once he’d closed the door he got to work.

4pm

He was sitting working when there was a knock at the door. Without looking up he shouted at them to come in. When he heard the door click shut he looked up. “Hi Mr President.” Jackie teased.

“Hiya kid.” Jack smiled.

He patted his knee for Jackie to sit which she did. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m a bit better.”

“Good.”

“I was actually wondering if you wanted to help me with my dress.”

Jack looked lost for words.

“If you don’t feel ready it’s alright I understand, I mean we wouldn’t be trying for a baby.”

“I know but I…. just don’t feel ready.”

“That’s fine bunny.” Jackie smiled as she kissed him.

Jack relaxed slightly. “Soon I promise.”

“There’s no rush, when you feel ready.”

“You must think I’m weird it’s the first time I’ve ever refused sex.” Jack said.

Jackie burst into laughter. It was the first time he’d seen her laugh like that since before the miscarriage.

“When are you coming upstairs?”

“Now.” Jack said taking her hand.

9pm

After tucking the kids in Jack joined Jackie in the living room. She was watching the news. The two presenters were debating if the First couple would have another child. “Jackie turn it off.”

She obliged and cuddled into him. “Why do they have to discuss our private life?”

“Because they don’t think we have feelings.” Jack replied.

“I want them to leave us alone over Christmas.” Jackie whispered.

“They will I promise.”

Jackie smiled and kissed him.