Chapter 7

Jackie Kennedy’s Room

Parkland Hospital

Dallas, Texas

12:20pm

Jack was sitting on his wife’s bed holding her hand. She was still asleep but was very pale and wired up to a few machines. After a while she began to stir. “Jack?” Jackie asked still dazed.

“Jackie I’m right here kid.” Jack said calmly.

It took her a few minutes to get her eyes focused on Jack. She smiled softly and squeezed her husband’s hand.

He sat their feeling his heart sink. They looked at each other lovingly for a few minutes before either spoke. “Jack?”

“Yes kid?”

“Is…..is the baby okay?” Jackie asked nervously.

Jack couldn’t help it, he broke down crying uncontrollably. “I’m so sorry Jackie…..it didn’t make it.” Jack sobbed.

Jackie pulled her husband close to her. He buried his face in her hair. “I’m so sorry…. It’s my fault.”

“Bunny how’s it your fault?” Jackie asked rubbing his back.

“I…I shouldn’t have made you come to Texas.”

“Jack, don’t talk rubbish it could have happened anywhere anytime.”

Jack nodded as he sat up. Jackie noticed his eyes were red and puffy. She gently placed her hands on the side of his face and with her thumbs rubbed just under his eyes. “Jack, when we lost Patrick what was the one thing I said to you?”

“There’s one thing I couldn’t bear and that’s if I lost you.”

Jackie nodded. “We’ll be okay bunny, we have each other.” Jackie said becoming chocked up. They were soon wrapped in each other’s arms crying.

They were disturbed by a knock at the door. Jack sat up just in time to see Clint. “Mr President, could we please talk with you in the hall?”

Jack tried to compose himself. “Clint…..”

“Sir we completely understand you want to be with Mrs Kennedy but this is very urgent.”

“Go Jack, I’ll be right here.” Jackie said.

He nodded and followed Clint outside. “Sir I offer you and Mrs Kennedy my sincere condolences, I’m sorry you lost the baby.”

Jack sighed. “What….do you want?”

Clint hesitated. “Shots were fired at the VP’s car, their bringing him here we think he’s been shot.”

“Oh dear God.” Jack exclaimed covering his mouth.

“We don’t know if the bullets were intended for you or actually for the Vice President.”

“Can you keep me updated?”

“Of course sir.”

Jack turned away and walked back into Jackie’s room. She was sitting up drying her eyes. When she saw Jack, she saw all colour had drained from his face in fact he looked like he could be sick. “Jack? Bunny what’s wrong?”

Jack sat down beside her and slid his hand into hers. “Shots were fired at Lyndon’s car; they don’t know how badly he was hit.”

Jackie gasped and buried her head into his shoulder. “It could have been you.”

Jack slowly moved his head up and down. “I know…..I know.”

“I love you.” Jackie sobbed.

“I love you too.”