Unexpected

(Long chapter)
Relationship status: together
:::

Third POV.
No one would ever have expected it. Although, maybe that was why it was so perfect. This was such an odd match that not even the gossipers who shipped everyone with anyone had seen it coming.

Rye's friends didn't see it coming. The guys who stayed up late smoking cigarettes and drinking. Fooling around at the cheapest pub they could find - throwing their crumpled up bills to the bartender of the pub - so they could forget about their everyday lives only to wake up in the real world with lipstick smears all over their chests — the boys who were reckless but still cared for each other more than expected.

Nor did Andy's friends who had no interest in such teenage behaviour and would rather read a great book that never had before been touched by someone of the same generation. The much smaller and closed group of friends who were ever so protective of each other. Andy, being the only one who would not spend his Friday night studying. These boys were smaller and would be picked on quite a lot by their grade, but they stuck together; as they had done for countless years.

Their teachers definitely did not see it coming; the two boys were so different; one well put together wearing white nail polish to school not giving a shit what people said, the other coming in distressed jeans and some random hoodie that happened to be closet to him that particular morning.

However, that was just descriptions of their friends and the brief appearances of them, barely scraping the surface. In his free time, the brunette did not often join his friends' casual evenings - the only times he did, he was sober, sitting laughing at his drunk friends' stupid behaviour. He would instead prefer to spend it with his lover or to sit outside looking at the sea of lavender - visiting the same spot that he had gone to as long as he could remember; ever since he was a child who just wanted to get out of the house that reeked of alcohol and smoke. Sitting in the shade relaxing and writing small poems in his diary that no one besides Andy would ever hear; some he would not even share with Andy as he did not like the feeling of vulnerability when sharing something so personal. Although soon he did not feel that way around the boy and shortly shared all of it with Andy.

The blond, on the other hand, spent his nights inside mostly watching Netflix. He was a good student, yet, would not often study more than complete his homework, and he would still get top marks because of his ability to listen during the lessons and quickly understand. He neither would party or drink. He enjoyed spending time with his calm friends and his boyfriend, enjoying the relaxed company.

Unlike some of his friends, Andy was not bothered by what people said behind his back; or when they said it to his face. He would just stand there inspecting his perfectly manicured nails to find out why some random guy was yelling at him for them; only to find nothing and look back up only to realise the guy still was not done shouting and walk away calm as ever.

They had met in the library; Andy was sitting reading a book that no one else in his grade would ever look at twice when Rye came in holding his diary with the dried up lavender twig marking which poem he was working on. He had a seat at the same table as Andy, and somehow they had started a conversation. Then they were there every day, whispering not disrupt the stressed students who couldn't manage their timetables.

Their friends had been shocked that these two, from entirely different worlds, became a couple. Not that they hid it, yet, they did not announce it either. You would just see them drive up to school together, Rye driving while holding his boyfriend's hand as Andy played the music with his other hand. Or maybe see them strolling through the halls hand in hand before one had to leave the other for class, a quick peck to say goodbye.

Andy had great relationships with all Rye's friends. He would talk to them about things they did not want to tell their other friends as they felt uncomfortable, as well as helping them study or just to get their heads out of their arses. So whenever they saw someone messing with their angel, they got angry, and no one wanted to cross them, so eventually, people left him alone. No doubt that Rye would kick then through the roof if someone ever did it in front of him, but there was no proof as it was yet to be dared.