12 years

**TRIGGER WARNING: mentions suicide, depression and self harm.**

:::
Rye's POV

11

That was when we met; you came to my school halfway through the term as you had moved. I had no clue what impact that would have on my life, but your presence made my life so much better. I no longer had to sit alone at lunch, sure I was at the same table as everyone in my class, but I was never included in the conversation. You saw me and headed my way, and I loved every second.

You were never shy, at least not then, you spoke to everyone and anyone. You brought my class together. I hoped you wanted to be my friend and you did.

12

At 12 we became best friends, we were in the park, and we promised one another that we always would be best friends forever. I was sitting on one of the swings, and you followed me outside after having to talk to the music teacher.

He wanted you to perform at the End of Year ceremony and had asked you if you could play an instrument. Up to this point, you only knew basic chords on guitar but you decided to teach yourself, and when you made your mind up, there was no possible way of changing it. Those days when I would watch you teaching yourself the guitar and try to play your favourite songs, sometimes you asked me to sing along, other times you asked me to listen and tell you how it was. I would always say that you sounded terrific, and most often you did other times I encouraged you because I believed in you.

Then one day you were practising in front of the music teacher, and you got so nervous you asked me to sing along. I really did not want to, I hated singing in front of people besides you, but I did it anyway for you. And because Mr Alver was a sweet old man who could be really firm when he wanted to, asked me to sing with you at the End of Year. I wanted to scream no. I desperately did not want to sing in front of everyone. I said yes when you asked me; I had not yet learnt to say no to those eyes.

13

When we were thirteen, my brother moved out to go to a boarding school, and I missed him so much. You two had been my rocks, I had never been without him for more than a couple of days, and to my hormonal self, the world was ending; but you were there.

We had so many sleepovers

14

When I fell in love with you, but I never realised. I did not know when I was fourteen that boys could love boys as I thought I was to like girls but after all those nights at my house sitting up talking for hours, I did. I fell for you. Hard, harder than any other fourteen-year-old had ever fallen before.

Of course, we had other friends but we never really spent any time with them outside of school. It was so easy to run to your embrace, only down the street from my house.

15

When your mum got ill, we were only 15. She had been diagnosed with cancer; she had two tumours in her lower abdomen. You called me just crying when you found out; I didn't understand I just ran. I ran to your house staying on the phone with you until I was in your room. When I saw you-you were lying on your bed wet cheeks and hair a mess. I just lay with you; I held you until you fell asleep. And I still didn't know what you were crying about, but when I found out, I soon joined you.

Your mum told me, she was always such a great woman. She came in stood in the doorway looking at me stroking your back.

"I'm so happy he has someone like you Rye," she paused before continuing, I had been so worried about you I did not notice her state of being before she spoke again, I now looked up at her standing in the doorway, slightly paler than usual and she had grown skinnier. "The doctor just told us, so we haven't had time to process it really."