Between Realities

Squid's POV
I sat on my sofa, hot blood spilling from my hand from the glass I had smashed on it.
And it was all beginning to make sense. Everything.
I stood up, making my way through the abyss towards the door, drunkenly slamming my hand onto the hall table and grabbing my car keys.
Then I was out, the air was fresh. I was free. I was ready.
I got into my car, and it was just like the dream.. that same recurring dream.. only this time it was going to be a reality.
The engine growled at me, I didn't even wince. I watched the speedometer rise, and the automatic gear box charge up. I just gripped the wheel, breathing in and out, in and out.
I was constantly being reminded of my dream.. that horrible dream.. which was slowly but surely becoming reality.
I shifted the rear view mirror so that I could see my own eyes, my red and painful eyes.
Look into the mirror, what do you see?  That's what Nicole asked me in the dream..
and so, recalling the words I said then, I said here,
"I see a man who has lost someone who he never should have lost." I took a deep breath, shaking my head as more tears collided from my stinging eyes, "I see someone who forgot about his girlfriend!" I yelled, gripping hard to the wheel and breaking down, covering my jittering mouth with my shaking hand.
I immediately thought of Joe, his wedding, his future. He'd be amazing. He'd be so amazing.
"I see a lonely old man who has no future!" I wept.
"I see a dead man." I whispered. Looking deep into my eyes, it was like my reflection was me in my dream.
I skidded on the brakes, pulled sharply into the ditch, the car flipped twice, the windows crashed, the last thing I remembered was smashing my head on the steering wheel, then blacking out completely.

Stampy's POV
I ran straight outside the door into Sqaishey's fiat 500, She was driving, and the second I sat down she took off.
"Let's go." I exhaled, looking out at the dark night, and the haunting street lights blinded my view.
I tried calling David again, but there was no response. My heart was pounding, I wanted to drive now, I wanted to be in control. I wanted to think of nothing other than saying between the lines of the road, not if my friend was still alive.
Then my phone started ringing and my blood went cold. I looked down at it,
"It's the police.." I breathed, and Beth took my arm, and my mind thought of the worst.
"I love you." She whispered, slipping her hand into mine as she continued driving. I picked up the phone.
"Hello?" I answered with a hollow voice.
I closed my eyes and just listened, a tear seeping down my face and over my closed lips.
"Hi- is this Joe? Are you a friend of David?" A woman's voice called.
My mouth opened but it took so much effort to speak through this fear, "y-yes- Yes is he okay?" I knew he wasn't. I just knew it.
"Right, Joe, David's been in a very bad car accident.."
my stomach split open, I couldn't even move.
"He's conscious at the moment, and he wants to speak to you."
I nodded, more tears subsiding in my eyes. He's going to die. This is it. The night before my wedding this is when he dies. This is just like my dream... it's all the same.. this is how he goes..
"D-Dave? What's going on? What happened?!" I called, my voice shaking as I continued to keep my eyes closed, wanting only for this to be the dream.
And then I heard the softest and most obscure voice, gently whispering to me, "G-goodbye." My heart broke, I went silent and allowed him to speak, "t-thank you so much." He muttered.
The paramedic told me that they had just lost him, he was unconscious, and they were on the way to the hospital. And I just fell apart.
I blinked my eyes open, and the phone hung up. I looked to Beth, who was driving as fast as she could.
It seemed like everything was slowing us down, we were caught in every red light, behind every learner driver. My jaw was shaking, and my heart was racing.
"Beth- Beth what if he dies?" I breathed, "w-what the hell am I gonna do?"
Sqaishey said nothing in response, she simply pushed the car into 5th gear, I concentrated on her engagement ring as she briefly slid her hand into mine, caressing my palms with her thumb.

We saw the ambulance ahead in the road, the sirens were on, it was travelling at speed, I don't know how- but I knew it was David.
"Follow it." I beckoned Beth, not able to contain my savviness.
"Joe.." Beth began, her eyes glistening; it was as if our roles were switching, she was calming me down now.
I regarded her tense countenance, exhaling slowly.
"Joe- w-whatever happens.. I- I don't want to bring your hopes up or down- we're in this together. And we will get through this." She promised me.
In my dream, this is the part where I woke up.
But I wasn't waking up.
I was still wide awake.
And this Sqaishey was my Sqaishey. This wasn't a dream. This was real.
There was no way out.