Chapter 22

"I'm telling him a fake password. He'll fall for it, I'll get them back. Please." I beg Mikey to let me go. 

"You know, parents started calling. They feel for the therapy group thing, but now they are asking questions. How did Dallon end up dead? Why is Patrick still going there? Why hasn't Brendon called? The school called too. How do you want to explain to them about all this?" Mikey growled. "We should let the police handle this. We just need Frank, that's it." 

"I'm not leaving Brendon." The door knocks. "Are you expecting someone?" I ask. He shakes his head. We grab our guns from off the table and turn to the door. Stepping forward. I open the door. Mikey aims his gun, finger hovering over the trigger. 

"Who are you?" Mikey asks. I look over. 

"Awsten?!" I put the gun away. He smiles and walks over to me, we hug. "Mikey, this is Awsten, he was my partner for a few years, then he went on a mission, dude, when did you get back?!" 

"I tried calling you dumbass, but you never answered. Found out about your mission. Mine finished about... 3 weeks ago. The officers said I could help you, so here I am!" He grins. He's like a positive ray of sunshine. Always finding the positive. 

He looks over at Mikey. "So... You're Mikey Way?" 

"Who's asking?" 

"Awsten Knight. I don't tell code numbers. Just not a fan of the professionalism. In other words, I like to be a dickhead." 

"What did-" 

"Okay, stop. I have to get my boyfriend back and-" 

"WAIT. Boyfriend? Bitch, when?" Awsten's eyes widen. 

"Long story. Anyway, I'm going. Now if you'll excuse me." 

"I CALL SURVEILLANCE!" Awsten has always been good at surveillance. I shrug and he pumps his fist in the air. 

~~~

"I see him, there is a van right behind him," Awsten announces.   

"I'm going to stand where you can see my back. I'll put two fingers up behind my back when it's a good time to breach."

"Yeah bro," Awsten giggles. He plays with a pen. 

"Mikey, I'll be fine." I put a hand on his shoulder, looking at him directly in the eyes.

He shrugs it off. "Tell me that where you're safe." He looks over at the cameras. "He has a gun, Ryan." He points out. 

"I-" I stutter to come up with words to reassure him. He scoffs. 

"Here, a deal." He smashes his lips to mine. My eyes widen. He pulls away. "If you die, or if Brendon dies, you won't be able to wash that guilt away." 

"I didn't-"

"You didn't pull away," he points out. "Now you come back with Brendon and Patrick, and you can resolve this if not, you carry that forever. And if you die... Well, you risk Brendon and Patrick's life." He turns. "Now or never." He says. 

I take a breath and run out, clipping in my earpiece. 

"Don't worry, we're listening," Awsten says into the mic. I continue running until I see the van. 

"You're late." Frank murmurs. 

"Well, do you want the passwords or not?" 

"Do you want your boyfriend back? Another minute and I would have killed him." He walks over to the van, he opens the door to reveal Brendon and Patrick. Both blindfolded, both unconscious. Both marked with bruises and cuts. He pulls out a computer.