Chapter 1 • 1989

Aleasha

Mum stood me in front of the mirror on my fort day of school and I looked up and down at myself. Skirt that came down to just below my knees, green jumper over a white polo-shirt along with green tights and shiny new school shoes. My short brown bob sat on my shoulders and I was clutching my book bag and lunchbox so tightly my knuckles were white. Mum bent down and planted a kiss on my head before ushering me out the door and off to school.

I looked around the playground and it was almost as if it was split in half. On one half there were some of the older kids running around and having fun, then on the other half there were the newbies, like me, huddling close to their parents, some of them crying. I saw one boy and he caught my attention. He had a 'Woody' lunch box. I had a 'Jessie' lunch box. He looked at me and then at my lunchbox and we smiled. Then the bell rang so we all said goodbye to our mums in sloppy hugs and kisses and tears and we walked off into the line outside the classroom so I ran up to the little boy and we walked in together.

We sat next to each other in class every day and at lunch we'd play together, acting out Disney games and whatever else we could think of. I knew from that first day I had a friend for life.