Chapter 6 • 1999

Diana

It was still settling in, what happened with Tom. I couldn't believe he liked me back! I did feel sorry for him though when he rushed off to the toilet...yes, I noticed what happened. He seemed so embarrassed. I didn't realise I was that good a kisser! Ha, only kidding, but it really pleased me that he felt the same way. The moment I laid eyes on him three years ago he had me spellbound, caught in a trance that I couldn't escape no matter how hard I tried. Of course, we would have to tell Aleasha at some point. Just not yet. I think we should take some time in getting to terms with things ourselves before we told everyone. We were only fourteen and he was my first boyfriend. At least, since I moved from America. I had that stupid boyfriend who I 'loved' and 'married' in the playground when I was nine. But that doesn't really count, does it? No, I don't think it does. I was so excited to have a boyfriend, and all the better that it was Tom.

When we went to the cinema I asked Tom if he wanted to sit next to me in the film, while Aleasha was getting the popcorn. He gave me a smile which was all I needed to know that he agreed. I'd seen him smile hundreds of times but knowing that smile was for me made my heart melt and I rested my head on his shoulder for a few seconds. Then Tom coughed and said my name and when I looked up I saw that Aleasha was walking back with the popcorn. I hastily stood up straight again and have a huge smile - acting the complete opposite of natural, something needed in this situation. But she didn't seem to notice, instead moaning about the price of the popcorn. I wasn't listening, I just stood there smiling and nodding whilst thinking about Tom.

The film was great but I wasn't really paying much attention. Mostly I just stared at Tom and daydreamed about him. I was used to being distracted by him, but never to this extent. Maybe it was because I was excited about what the future held for us now we were together. Or perhaps I wanted more of what happened earlier...