Chapter 20 • 2005

Aleasha

I said night to Diana and tucked into bed myself. Considering we hadn't started the films until nearly nine o'clock it was now five o'clock in the morning, so there wasn't much point going to bed, but I was really tired anyway and wanted to go to bed. I climbed into my side of the bed and it felt weird that Danny wasn't next to me, instead he was halfway across the world. The bed felt colder without him and I tried not to think about it as I drifted off to sleep.

The next day Diana and I had planned on going to the cinema but having watched over six hours of films last night we didn't really fancy it so instead we went swimming. I drove there so we didn't have to plan it around bus timetables or whatever and we were there in ten minutes. Because we had membership it meant we could use the sauna and steam room so once we'd done our swimming we sat in there for a bit. We talked about random things before wondering what the boys were up to now. Diana admitted that she was worried Tom wouldn't cope very well - he'd always been the quieter of the four boys and suffered with depression sometimes. I didn't really worry much about Danny. He'd always taken care of himself and was strong so I knew he'd be okay - so long as he didn't do anything stupid. After about fifteen minutes we made our way back to the changing rooms before going home again and cooking dinner.

One thing I did hate about them being in Uganda is they had no means of contact. Normally if Danny went away on a writing trip or a family holiday he would Skype me every evening, and it had become routine when he went away. Every night at ten o'clock I would get my laptop out and Skype Danny in bed. But this time we couldn't and it made me miss him more. I wasn't sure how I was going to survive the whole time.