Chapter 5 • 1999

Tom

It was Aleasha's birthday and we'd all agreed to meet at her house before going to the cinema. Well, I say we - it was just her, Diana and me. I walked in and Diana was already there. She was dressed up in a beautiful pink dress and looked stunning. I still got butterflies every time I saw her. She seemed shy, though I wasn't sure why - we'd known each other for three years now. Maybe she was just naturally shy. Every time I saw her she would be quiet. Oh well.

"Right, I'm just gonna pop to the loo and then we can go!" Aleasha said before nipping out of the room and into the toilet. I was about to say something to Diana, to break the silence, but she got there first.

"Tom?" She said quietly.

"Yeah?"

"Can I tell you something?"

"Um, sure, anything! You can trust me you know." I replied, a bit curious as to what she was going to tell me.

"I've got this problem. I really like someone - well actually, I like them more than really. I think I might love them...but I'm not sure how to tell them. Or if to tell them." She almost whispered as if she were about to cry.

"Oh, er, well I'm not an expert...but...I guess the best thing to do would just be to come straight out with it, I guess. I don't think it really matters how you say it - if they like you back they won't care how you tell them so long as you do, and if they don't...well that's bad luck and it won't back a difference I guess." I said, not really sure what I was going on about.

"Oh. Okay. Thanks." She said. A few seconds passed before she spoke up again.

"Tom?"

"Yeah?"

"I like you." My heart jumped. She-she liked me? I couldn't believe it. I looked up at her and saw that she was red in the face and looking down at the floor. I took a step towards her and lifted her chin up. She looked in my eyes but before she could say anything I leaned in and kissed her. I could feel her kissing me back and it was as if fireworks were going off inside me, making me feel warm inside, especially lower down. Then I realised what was happening. I ran out of the room and banged on the toilet door.

"Aleasha! Hurry up!" I yelled, trying to hide my erection from Diana. The toilet flushed and Aleasha came out but before she could say anything I was in there with the door locked. I was mortified.

The car ride to the cinema was the most awkward ride ever, not helped my the fact I had to sit next to Diana. I stared out the window the whole way, not daring to think about the kiss in case the same thing happened again. At one point Diana snuck her hand into mine without Aleasha noticing and it struck me - how were we going to tell Aleasha? She was our best friend and I worried it would upset her that we were together. At least, I thought we were together. We had just kissed after all and were now holding hands. But would she feel left out? I was sure she'd probably be happy for us and really supportive but there was still an inkling of doubt in the back of my mind.