Chapter 23 • 2005

Aleasha

As Diana cried into my shoulder I realised that this was serious. Diana lived with Tom - if they'd broken up then that left her homeless. It was Tom's house after all - he'd paid for it and had bought it under his name or whatever. I would invite Diana to live with me and Danny until she found her own place but it would be unfair whilst Danny and I were arguing, having to live with that after a serious break up. But would it? She didn't know that Danny and I were fighting - I was going to tell her but then she told me about her and Tom - and it would give her a roof over her head. Danny and I would just have to put aside our argument and help Diana. I don't think either of us would be that selfish.

I took her back to our flat and Danny was out when I got in. I breathed a sigh of relief. I didn't want to get into anything now. With a bit of luck I could text him or call him before he got home. I phoned Tom and asked him if I could come round. He said I could but not to bring Diana. I didn't.

Tom opened the door when I knocked and he looked sad. I don't think he's been crying but he was really quiet and had no sparkle in his eye like he usually did. I gave him a quick hug but pulled away. Tom and I had never argued, but I couldn't help but feel a bit of anger in the pit of my stomach. Unless he had a good reason for it he had just broken my best friend's heart after all.

"Just here to get some stuff for Diana. She's staying with me and Danny for a while." I said, looking at him but he didn't look at me back. He just nodded. I started towards the stairs but then stopped and turned around. "Tom, why did you break up with Diana?" I asked quietly. He looked up at me with lost eyes.

"My bedroom's on the left." He simply said before wandering into the living room.

I thought about what Diana would probably want. I grabbed a random bag out the wardrobe and put in pyjamas and some clothes. Then I made my way to the bathroom and picked up what I assumed was her toothbrush and toothpaste (one toothbrush was pink and the other was blue and the toothpaste was the same one she'd always bring to sleepovers when we were younger) and a load of hair products - shampoo, hairspray etc - along with her straighteners. You never knew when a girl would want her straighteners. I zipped up the bag and made my way back downstairs. I called out to Tom but there was no reply so with a sad smile I looked back into the place that once belonged to my best friends before closing the front door behind me.

When I got back Danny had arrived back home. When I saw him I still felt sad at what had become of our relationship but after we'd shared one long, hurt look at each other I tried my best to act completely normal like nothing was wrong. Even though it was. We had curry for dinner and all sat round the dinner table in silence. I tried to make conversation but there was nothing I wanted to say to Danny and Diana didn't want to talk. After dinner Diana and I watched TV whilst Danny played his guitar and worked on songs in the music room. Every now and then I would hear a strum in the guitar but we generally didn't as Danny had the room soundproofed when we moved in. Later that evening I put some cushions and blankets down on the sofa for Diana to sleep on before making my way to my own bedroom. I sat on the edge of my bed, taking off my makeup when Danny walked in from the bathroom. He stood still for a while before finally speaking.

"I'm sorry, Aleasha, you know that? I really am." I thought for a few seconds unsure what to say. I wanted to forgive him. But I didn't know how.

"Sorry doesn't make up for saying that you don't think I would have fallen in love with you if I knew how things would turn out." I said quietly before getting under the duvet and turning my light out.