Chapter 30 • 2007

Danny

I scruffed up my hair and took a deep breath. This would either work or it wouldn't. And if it didn't...well, I'd more than likely end up dead. I walked over to the huge bin and lifted the lid, removing a couple of rubbish bags. Then I reached up for the lid and pretended not to be able to reach it.

"Hey mate, could you help me with this?" I called out to the man. I hoped more than anything that this would work. He looked up and scowled before slumping over.

"If you could just hop up onto here then..." I explained and as he jumped onto the side of the dumpster I took my chance. I gave him a huge push and he fell into the bin, then I reached up and slammed the lid down, jamming it shut. I placed the heavy rubbish bags on top and ran.

I reached the vent that Dani had entered and knelt down. It was tight but I'd be able to get through. The man was still shouting from inside the bin and I wasn't sure how long it would be before he broke out of it. The lid was already looking like it would crack. I knew I didn't have long so I crawled into the vent and moved as fast as I could.

There were so many turnings that I was confused in seconds and had no idea what to do but then I saw a piece of thread on an out sticking pipe. I picked it up and realised it was from the ribbon Dani had been wearing in her hair. She must have gone this way, I thought to myself and I carried on squlerching like a snail.