Chapter 16 • 2004

Diana

The only thing worse than the weight pulling me down and the blackness pulling me into a deep sleep was the guilt I felt for leaving Aleasha. But there was no way I would be able to carry both of them and Aleasha couldn't walk herself - besides, I had to get Danny to hospital. There was no point letting all three of us die when I could at least save Danny. And I would go back. I would. I never go back on a promise. I carried on walking, getting more tired and cold with every step and I turned the corner and saw the big hospital rising up in front of me. Although I was crying already I sobbed with relief. I made my way slowly to the A&E department and, moving one leg at a time and taking up all my concentration, made my way up the stairs. A nurse looked up when I entered and, seeing Danny unconscious on my back, came rushing over, calling for help. They lifted Danny off my back and as they lifted me onto a bed and placed an oxygen mask over my face I breathed, "Can I sleep now?" and a nurse replied, "No you need to stay awake sweetie." But it was too late. I was gone.

I dreamt my whole life in the few minutes before I woke up again. Playing with my friends in the playground, welcoming home my baby brother, walking to the bus stop on my first day at secondary school, meeting Aleasha, falling in love with Tom and preparing to celebrate our fifth anniversary. That's when I woke up. Tom didn't know about me and I didn't want his last memory of me to be as he was leaving the house on the morning of our anniversary only to come home and find me dead in a hospital bed. For a few minutes all that crossed my mind was Tom and tears rolled down my cheeks as I saw nurses and doctors rushing around me in a blur. Then a thought hit my mind - Aleasha. In a panic I sat up and tried to rip off the oxygen masks and tubes that were attached to my body but the staff pushed me back down and reattached everything.

"A-Aleash..." I tried to speak. No one took any notice of me, instead they just stuck a needle into my arm and I was back into darkness.