Chapter 3 • 1996

Aleasha

Tom and I shared a long hug on the path leading to my door. He was going to a special performing arts school whereas I was just going to the local secondary school - it was the first time we'd been apart since before we'd met 7 years ago. Also, he had to catch the train to his school every morning and afternoon so this meant we'd only be able to see each other at weekends. I loved dance so I used this as an excuse to beg my parents to let me go to the stage school as well but they still refused. But to be honest I was glad they did as, despite the fact I loved dance, I probably wouldn't have been entirely comfortable there. So Tom and I had to go our separate ways.

I hopped on the bus and found a seat near the front by a window. I'd been told that I was the only year 7 on this bus so I didn't want to get in the way of the older kids, especially since one ran into me and I broke my arm. So I was quite happy staring out the window and watching the passing holdings on what was now my daily route - that is until someone came and sat next to me.

"Ugh, is it always such a mad grab for seats? Remind me to get up early and get on at the first stop tomorrow." She said in a thick American accent. I peered over at her and saw that she was older than me, but not much taller at all. Like me, she had brown hair that fell loosely over her shoulders and brown eyes too. I smiled at her and was surprised at how comfortable I felt around her - I was normally rubbish with strangers.

"I'm Diana. Just moved here from America. You are?"

"I'm Aleasha. I'm new too. I'm in year 7 and today's my first day." I said. I saw her brown eyes widen as she listened to me.

"Woah, I love your accent! Where is it from?" She asked, clearly intrigued. I giggled.

"I'm from Wales." Then I said something in Welsh which made me laugh at how confused she was.

"Um, I may have been interested in your accent but I don't speak Welsh."

"I know," I said smiling, "but I can." And just like that, I had found a new best friend.

It turned out that she was in year 8 though, so we weren't in any of the same classes. But she was still only a few months older than me so that didn't stop us, we just arranged places to meet at break and lunch then, because we were on the same bus, we spent all the time after school hanging out together. I texted mum on that first day and asked if I could bring a friend round and she said yes, so Diana came round for tea. I got a text just after Diana left, at about eight, from Tom asking if he wanted to meet at the park, but I was exhausted after my first day and had just been with a friend anyway.