Kali's POV: This is Why I Don't Leave the House

The week went by slowly.  Not much happened during school, just basic stuff like homework or after school sports.  Then friday came.

    "Kali!  I need to go shopping for my date tomorrow with Luke!  Lend me at least fifty dollars!  I have no money in my savings account."

    It was only six-thirty, and she already wants money from me. 

    "Yeah, well that's only because you use it like it's checking account number two," I said, brushing my teeth.  It was way too early for this.  "How about you get a job."

    Nat groaned.  "Ugh!  But you don't understand!  Luke and I's date is tomorrow and I have nothing to wear!  You don't have anything that I could wear either," she ran a hand through her recently dyed all-brown hair.  She said it was because she wanted a better way for people to tell us apart, but I think it's just because she doesn't want to look like me.  "Please?  I'll get a job and pay you back."

    "What happened to all your money, Nat?  Oh, right, you spent it all already."  I rinsed my toothbrush off and walked to the closet right outdoors and put it away.  "On shopping."  Nat was a shopaholic.  Don't get me wrong, she has amazing taste and all, but it was almost an addiction.  She was the only reason I looked somewhat cute on a daily basis.

    "You can come with me?  We could go after school."

    "Fine.  But you're getting one outfit."

***

    Nat did not get only one outfit.

    I drove her to the nearest mall as soon as school got out.  G and Milla had to go to work, so they couldn't come along, so that meant it was just me and my sister.

    The mall was huge and had plenty of stores.  Zumiez, Tillys', Hollister, you know, all the expensive stores that Nat used my wallet for to buy four full bags worth.

    "Kali!  Come and check this out with me!  I think I saw a cute shirt..."

    Next stop seemed to be Pacsun.

    "Nat, I think you've spent-"  She was gone already.  "Enough."  I look down at the bags she's tossed at me to hold.  I didn't even want to know how much she spent.

    Great.  Now I really would need to get a job.

    I decided to look around a little bit instead of standing outside holding all of Nat's clothes.  This store seemed to have some cute stuff, and I was in the need for a couple new shirts so I don't have to keep rewearing dirty ones.

    Looking through the racks, I tried to find something wearable that didn't expose my entire stomach or was a size zero.

    My style was basically shorts or jeans and tee shirt's.  Nothing special, mostly on sale.  I peeked through one sales rack and spotted someone.  Someone I knew, but wish I didn't.  Calum Hood.

    "Shit," I groaned and ran to a larger rack that I wouldn't be noticable behind.  This was why I never liked going out.  I hated seeing people from school anywhere but at school.

    He was going through the racks and organizing shirts on the men's side of the store.  He had on a gray shirt exposing his muscles and black ripped skinny jeans with black converse.  I just couldn't help but stare.  He was for once minding his own business and, thankfully, hasn't noticed me creepily watching him through the rack of clothes.

For some reason I didn't picture him working here.  He seemed more of a Guitar Center type of guy, one who's always spotting for chicks who can play an instrument instead of actually doing his job.  Why was I watching him again?

"Um, excuse me, miss?"

Just my luck.  I let out a small scream and accidentally knocked over the rack.  My hands went up to my face as I gasped at all of the clothes on the floor.

    The girl who tried talking to me looked petrified.  "I'm sorry!  I didn't mean to scare you!"

She mumbled a few things to herself.  "My boss is gonna FREAK."  Then she ran off.

    Great.  Now I'll just awkwardly clean this up.

    "Well, well, well..," Calum came up behind me and squatted down, helping me pick up clothes.  "What are you shopping for, Kali?  In," he held up a shirt, "the men's beachwear rack?" 

    "Oh... Hello.  I was pretending not to see you there," I awkwardly laughed.

One of his employees came over as if to help but Calum waved them off.  "We're all good Jessica.  Thanks though."  He winked at her and she blushed.

    I cringed.  I actually cringed at his disgusting attempt to act cute.

    "What's with the face?"

    "Sorry.  I had to refrain from vomiting on the carpet."

    "Oh.  Okay."

    He must not have gotten my sarcasm.

    "I didn't realize you worked here," I said, helping him lift the rack back off the ground.  "I'm just here with Nat.  She's shopping for her date tomorrow with Luke."

    Calum froze for a second.  "Nat... and Luke?  My Luke?  Hemmings?"

    Luke must not have told his buddies about the date.  "Yes.  She asked him out last week and he said yes.  They've been talking in private, that's all I know."

    The look of betrayal, confusion, and anger crossed his face for a brief second.  "Interesting."  We got the rack up with all the clothes on it and he brushed his shirt off.  "Anyways, you're welcome.  Here," he pulled a coupon out of his back pocket.  "I found it on the floor earlier.  It expires today, thought you might want it."

    I smiled.  "Thanks."  If this was another attempt to act cute, it was better than the last.

    "Yeah, I kinda thought you were still mad at me for crushing you at bass guitar the other day, but good to know you're not.  Real sport you are," he pat me on the back like one of his bros.  "See ya."

    Oh my gosh.

    Blushing bright red, I walked out of the store with a scowl on my face and texted Nat to meet me at the food court.  No need to spend another awkward minute in that store with Calum Hood.