40

DAVID

I've been very happy lately, probably the happiest I've ever been, or at least the happiest I remember being. While I know that the majority of this happiness has come from consistency and relative stability in my career, I'd also like to accredit this happiness to Lorelei, who has not only been a beacon of light in my life, but also a shoulder for me to lean on whenever need be. 

Lorelei is something of a miracle in my life. She'd come around just when I needed her the most. I was, needless to say, broken after Liza and I split. I spent a lot of my time filming, not really because I wanted to film but because I needed to film. I needed something to occupy my time, so I started going out to parties every night with Corinna and Todd, and drinking probably a little too much. 

So when Lorelei came into my life and started giving me a healthy outlet to occupy my time, I suppose that that was when I really fell in love with her. I think that it started when she wanted to do my eyebrows. If it were anyone else, I definitely would've declined, but for her, I'd agree to anything. I think that that was when I started to love her, and every moment after that has only added into more love. 

I don't think that I'm an expert in love. I don't think that I have any legislation or right to be speaking about love of any kind. I've only had a handful of serious girlfriends and up until Liza, I don't think I really knew what love was. I did love Liza. I do love Liza, but I think that my love for Liza was never the same as my love for Lorelei. 

I don't know how to explain it, so I'm not going to. I don't know why I'm thinking about all of this, it isn't really relevant to anything happening, but I suppose that everything is relevant to my love for Lorelei when there's a velvet box hidden under the bed with a ring in it. 

"Everything okay over there?" Lorelei's voice breaks me from my thoughts as she drapes her arms over my shoulders, pressing a kiss to the top of my head. She smells like coconut, mint and perfume and I want to pull her in for a kiss, but I don't. "You zoned out, bub," She kisses my forehead and moves to walk away. 

I grab her arm, pulling her down to my height and pressing a kiss to her lips. She tastes like mint and fruit and I think that, for a moment, all that I really want to do is kiss her. Lorelei laughs into my mouth, her fingers tangling in my hair, blunt nails scraping against my scalp. "I'm okay," I say when Lorelei pulls away, her lips plump and slightly swollen from kissing. "Better than okay, actually." 

Lorelei smiles down at me, wiping at her mouth as she reaches over to grab the empty beer bottle on the patio table. "Do you want another?" She asks, glancing over to where Scott and Kristen are cuddled up on a lounge chair. 

"No," I say, watching as she walks over to Scott, asking him the same question. She catches my gaze when she turns around, shooting me a sheepish grin, her cheeks heating up pink. "You want to sit for awhile?" I pat my lap, looking up at the woman. 

Her mouth spreads open in a smile and she lowers herself down onto my lap, slinging an arm around my shoulders. Lorelei's fingers tangle in my hair, combing through softly. "I love you, pretty girl." 

Lorelei's cheeks heat. "I love you, too," She replies, leaning in to press a kiss to my lips. Her mouth is soft against mine, her nose bumping up against mine gently. "What's on your mind, bubba?" 

I hum out a noise as she adjusts her position, resting her head on my chest. Her skin is warm and soft against mine, lightly tanned under the sun. I brush my hand through her hair, fingers tangling at a slight knot. "You," I admit, tracing the tattoo on her hip. "It's always you. You know that?" 

Lorelei laughs into my chest, her hand sneaking under my shirt to rest on my stomach. "Yeah?" She asks, kissing my shoulder. "Always me? Is that a good thing, Davey?" 

I smile. "Occasionally," I answer. "Most of the time." I kiss the top of her head, exhaling a content sigh. Her hair smells of her shampoo; like coconut and lemon. "I love you." 

She brushes her fingers through my hair. "I know," Lorelei says, kissing my neck. "I love you, too, David." I nod my head, watching as she lifts her head, her brown eyes dancing as she glances around the backyard. It's relatively pleasant today, despite the slight chill in the air, although California never really does get unpleasant. "Do you know what you're wearing tomorrow? To Jack's party?"

"Mhm," I reply, my eyes following Lorelei's as she settles her gaze on Astley. The old dog is curled up on the grass beside the pool, his legs tucked under his body as he bathes under the sun. "Do you?" 

She doesn't have to answer for me to know. Lorelei lives for planning ahead. She'd plan months in advance if possible. Lorelei leans into me, sighing quietly. "You think Jack is going to like me?" Lorelei asks, as if my manager's opinion of her has anything to do with my feelings for her. 

I smile and press a kiss to her neck, nodding my head. "He thinks you're hot. He said so the night that I met you." She giggles, shaking her head. "Too bad you're mine." 

"Yeah," Lorelei says, a playful grin on her lips as she tilts her head up to look at me. "Too bad." Our lips meet once more, and in that moment there's nothing I want more than to spend hours and hours kissing her under the warm sun.