95

LORELEI

David's eyes have always been one of my favorite parts of him.

There's much to love, at least for me, hidden inside those swirls of brown, different shades subtly melting together like smooth caramel. It's underrated, really, his eyes. Everyone's always cooing about his hair, his hands, his smile, and while I, of course, love each of his features, his eyes will nearly always come out on top. 

I fell in love with his eyes, fell in love with that pretty shade of brown before I'd even fallen in love with David. He's got millions of thoughts and secrets hidden behind those pretty eyes. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I get to share my life, my home, my everything with him.

But everyone's in love with his eyes, in love with him. How couldn't you be? He's everything anyone could ever want and more. Everyone can see the beauty in David, whether it be pure physical or him as a person. 

Everyone except for David, that is. 

"Bub, what are you doing?" I ask, my voice breaking through the soft silence of the room. He perks up slightly, his fingers toying with the rings on his left hand, a soft sigh leaving his lips. He's staring into the mirror, his brows knit and lips pursed.

"Nothing," David mumbles, although his harsh stare at his reflection doesn't seem to lessen. His bottom lip momentarily quivers and he turns around to face me, his expression softening. "Just fixing my hair." He's wearing an unbuttoned white dress shirt and a pair of dress pants, the shirt long since having come untucked and his tie discarded, belt undone and hanging loosely from his hips, ready to drop to the floor.

I let a hand drift over the exposed skin on his torso, the other dragging dull nails over his broad shoulders. My fingers tangle in his hair, tugging at the curls that gather at the base of his neck. "You're really, very pretty, David," I say. 

His cheeks heat up a light shade of pink and he looks away, those brown eyes that I've loved since the moment I met him flickering over to look at his reflection once more, and then instantly darting away. He hides his face in the crook where my neck meets my shoulder, his lips ghosting over the skin there. "'M not," He whispers, his hands moving to rest on my stomach. 

My nails scrape across his scalp, an unsatisfied noise leaving my lips. I can see it now, can see it in the moments like these, when he's getting undressed and his confident facade has fallen, when he's staring in the mirror and calculating every flaw looking back at him, can see how hopeless he feels. "You are," I say, my fingers dancing over his shoulders, pushing the fabric of his shirt down until it falls to the floor. My fingertips move over his chest, down to his stomach and then back up. I rest the palm of my hand on his torso, his heartbeat steady. "I wish you could see yourself how I see you."

David tilts his head up to look at me, his lips drawn in a pout and forehead creased with doubt. I bring my hand down from his hair to rest my thumb against the creases on his forehead, evening them out. "I love you," I whisper, leaning in so that my nose is touching his, my hand cupping his jaw. "I think you're perfect."

He nods his head, swallowing audibly. I rest my head on his shoulder and exhale a sigh as his hands drop to rest on my stomach, fingers flaying out over my skin. "I love you," David murmurs, his eyes darting down to my swollen stomach. "I love you, too, little one," He whispers. 

I close my eyes and brush my hands over his shoulders, down along his back. Neither of us say anything, we just stand together, my arms wrapped around David. His imperfections aren't flaws, not in my eyes. He's beautiful, both inside and out, and it hurts that he can't see that, hurts that he won't believe me. I press a kiss against the skin on his shoulder, soft sigh leaving my lips. 

"Tired?" David asks, breaking the silence. His voice is soft and gentle, cutting through the quiet. I don't answer at first, instead letting my fingertips move up his arm. I nod my head as David's hands drop down to my waist, pulling my body impossibly closer to his. "Need to shower, love," He says, his lips brushing over my cheek. "You need to take your vitamins."

I nod my head again but don't open my mouth to speak. David unwraps himself from me and moves towards the bathroom, his belt hitting the floor as he unzips his dress pants. I turn to watch him, my eyes drifting over his bare back. I swallow and bring my hands up to unhook my necklace, setting it down on my vanity as I take a step towards David.

"Can I join?"