Chapter 8

"Maybe we should just stay here for a bit," Klaus commented, staring at the pouring rain. Violet shot a glare at him.

"Are you kidding me? Nero was terrible, and he's treating us like servants and slaves! This is the best we're gonna get!" 

"Fine, but I prefer to be dry and tired than wet, cold and homeless!" Klaus snapped. Violet narrowed her eyes at Klaus and walked into the rain, Sunny didn't move or respond to the rain. Usually, Sunny hated rain, she would usually hide under Violet's jumper and whimper as they walked. This couldn't happen, for two reasons, Violet wasn't wearing a jumper, or even a light jacket, she was wearing a ripped, dirty, stained, what used to be a T-shirt, and Sunny was unresponsive. Violet slightly smiled, remembering the time that Sunny, Klaus and her went to a science fair with their parents, Sunny was only a few weeks old, Klaus was 10 and Violet was 12. Violet was carrying Sunny, it was great fun, and Klaus learned about animals there. When they exited the science fair, they found that it was raining slightly. They were persistent, which, in this case, means that they didn't let the rain stop them from having a good day and walking home, and so they walked home. Sunny whined and pulled Violet's jumper over her head with her tiny, weak hands. Violet remembered that day with a smile. 

"Lets go, maybe we can knock on another door," Violet said, speaking in a nicer tone. They walked through the rain and stepped one house down. Klaus stepped forward and knocked on the door, Beatrice was awake and clung from his left side like a little monkey, Klaus had his arm wrapped around her side and making a seat for her to sit in. Klaus knocked a second time, in one of his favourite  knocking patterns. The door swung open, opening the door was a man with a long chin, and wrinkles  covering his face. He had a mean look in his eye and glared down at the children. On his head was many red scratches where hair should be. 

"I don't want to buy anything, I don't want you to advertise anything and I most certainly don't want anything to do with you children." The man spoke in a rough, gruff, scratchy voice. His hands were holding a large butchers knife and he was wearing a white — now red — apron. 

"Oh I'm sorry sir, if you don't want us to advertise, we'll leave," Violet said, covering up quickly what they were really there for. The man frowned at slammed the door shut. Klaus looked at Violet from the door and nodded his head. He stepped off the doormat and the Baudalaires walked down to the nest house. Third time lucky. Klaus thought, and he and Violet walked up the stairs of the house and stood in front of the door. The mat read 'welcome!' and the house really did seem welcoming. The door's lock clicked and the door slowly was pushed open. A girl who looked to be Klaus's age answered the door. She had short, brown hair and big hazel eyes, she had freckles and was wearing a comfortable hoodie and jeans, she looked at Klaus, Violet and the two young siblings with awe. Her mouth dropped open.

"Mom!" She called. A shorter girl with blonde hair and blue eyes ran up to the girl. She also looked at them with amazement. 

"Mom!" She called as well. Footsteps were heard and a woman with blonde hair and green eyes peered from outside the door.

"Well, hello, how can I help you?" She asked.

"Hello my name is Violet Baudalaire, and these are my siblings-" Violet was cut off.

"Klaus and Sunny!" The girl with brown hair said. Violet looked at her with suprise.

"Yes," Violet paused, looking at the girl with curiousity, "You know us?" 

"Yes, I read about you in a book by 'Lemony Snicket' I didn't know that you were real!"