Chapter 5

I woke up in the early hours of the morning and spoke to one of the survivors for a few minutes, then I walked down to the edge of the water and saw that more stuff from the plane has pushed out, so I slowly start collecting things I could see and carried it to the sand.

I found a couple of seats that must of came loose from the plane and carried that out as well. After a while, I sat down on the sand and look out over the water. So far, its our third day on this island and we haven't seen any other planes in the sky or any boats on the water. My mind goes back to Conner and I wondered again if he was still alive.

I think back to the time after we got married. We've always put up an act around others, but actually we slept in different bedrooms. His staff knew that all wasn't what its supposed to be, but out of respect, they never said anything, but they treated me with love and respect. We've never had any close relationship and Conner was always off to who knows where. He won't tell me anything or when he would go away, he would let me know through his staff that he would be away for a few days. Whenever he was home, he would just ignore me, except for when we have to go out together in public.
I met Matt through Conner as they were best friends since childhood and Matt saw from the start that there were problems between us, but he would never question us about it. With time, Matt would come around to the house and he would include me in conversations, which would drive Conner crazy.

I remember once that Conner had to go away on business, so Matt came over for supper the night before and they were talking about some new deal that Conner was interested in, so while they were talking, Matt included me in their conversation and Conner actually told him not to bother wasting his breath talking to me, as I won't have a clue what they were talking about. I was feeling hurt that he should think I'm stupid or something, but didn't say anything. I've just excused myself and went to my room.

The next day Matt came around to the house after Conner left and found me crying inside the small library. He started questioning me and before I knew it, I have told him everything. I made him promise not to say anything about it to Conner as he was threatening to kill Conner for being an idiot.

With time, Matt and myself grew closer, but it never went beyond friendship. Conner used to hate seing us talking and laughing together. At one stage, he had the nerve to tell me that I should stay away from his friend as Matt is not interested in a slut who sells herself for money.

I was deeply hurt by his words and even tried to stay away from Matt, but sweet Matt wouldn't have it and always found ways to put a smile on my face. Why couldn't Conner be more like Matt, why should he be so cruel towards me. I knew Conner could be a kind and loving person. I saw how he was towards others.

The only times you would of seen any emotion from him, was when Matt would tell me something that would make me laugh or if Matt was sitting close to me. Those times Matt would make it his mission to bring out the worse in Conner as he would playfully flirt with me which always made me blush as I wasn't used to things like that. Those times Conner would tell him to leave and Matt would laugh out loud as if he knew something funny that we don't know of.

Somewhere along the way I have fallen head over heels in love with my husband. I don't know if it was the few times I caught him watching me with heat in his eyes when he thought I didn't notice or the times he showed jealousy whenever I was to friendly with Matt or any other man, for the matter. 

A week ago Conner had to go to Canada to give a speech and to see someone about a deal and he demanded that I have to go with as his wife. Matt found out about the trip and of course he invited himself and Conner didn't have any excuse, but to let him go along on the trip. We all stayed in the same hotel where the convention would be held and on our third day there, I went down for lunch and saw Conner sitting with a beautiful woman. They were talking and laughing and my heart broke, so I turned around to go back to my room, but walked straight into Matt.

He summed up the situation with Conner immediately and pulled me into his arm, letting me cry on his shoulder and telling me that everything will be okey. It was while we were standing there that Conner ripped me from Matt's arms and his fist went straight for Matt's face. I tried to stop Conner, but that seemed to drive him even more crazy.

He turned to me and told me to go pack my bags as we are leaving. At the airport, he turned to Matt who was trailing behind begging to listen to him, but Conner only believed what he saw and that was me in Matt's arms.

Now, while looking out over the water, I wonder if he made it out. I get up off the sand as the sun was fully out and continue my search for anything I could found.

It was while I was walking along the waters edge, that I spot something that have washed out. As I got closer, my movements got slower. I saw a seat from the plane and as I tip it to pull out of the water, I screamed.