Chapter 18

We had a lovely evening last night. The youngster got little gifts from some of the survivors, things that was in their bags or something they've made for him. Matt brought out the guitar again and we danced around the campfire. I found out during the evening that Matt found the condoms in some of the suitcases, so Ben came up with the idea to make the smiling faces with a marker.

I sit with my feet in the sand, while waiting for the guys to get ready, as we going to the waterfall to get fresh water and to pick some more fruit. It was very misty over the water, so you had to focus to see anything. It was while I was sitting with my thoughts, that I suddenly spot something far out in the ocean. I focus more on it and realised that it was a boat.

"Oh my gosh, there's a boat, there's a boat in the water," I screamed out and ran up the sand to where the Flair's were kept. I ran down to the water again and nearly everyone followed me, shouting out in excitement and waving their arm, but as we got to the water, there was no sign of the boat.

"Where did it go, it was there. I saw the boat." Tears streamed down my face. I tried to shoot the flair, but it was taken out of my hand by Matt and I start hitting him for it. He grabs my shoulders. Maddie, calm down, the boat is gone and they won't be able to see the flare, aspecially with the thick mist. It would be a waste to shoot it off."

I was crying hysterically by now, thinking that the boat could of been our only chance to get off the island. I fell down to my knees while sobbing. Matt held on to me and let me cry. After a short while I feel someone pick me up and carried me back to the huts. I knew it was Conner who took me from Matt's arms, but at that moment I didn't care.

He puts me down on the makeshift bed and sat opposite me, his eyes on me the whole time. I didn't say anything, but stare straight infront of me. A short while later I hear Hanna came in and she gave me something to drink. I cough at the strong taste of the alcohol, but eventually I calmed down a bit. She leaves the hut, but looks back at me sadly.

"This could of been our only chance Conner and now the boat is gone. We never getting off this island." He moves closer to me and takes me in his arms. "Maddie, you are one of the strongest woman I've seen in my life, so don't give up now. I told you that my parents wouldn't rest until they found us or at least know what happened."

We sat like that for a while, then I push him away and got up. "Where are you going," Conner ask. I walk to the door and look outside and could see that a lot of people were upset that we weren't rescued. I turn back to Conner. "I can't sit like this and feel sorry for myself. There's many others that still needs care, so that is exactly what I'm gonna do." I look around me then back at him. "Conner, if I don't keep busy, I will go off my head."

I grab my backpack and made sure I have everything I need, then walk out the door towards the other's and could see their sad eyes following me. I walk up to Matt and asked him if they were ready to leave for the waterfall and he just nods, not knowing what to say. Conner pulls me to him and said that he doesn't think that I should go, as I was still upset.

"Conner, as I told you before, don't tell me what to do. What do you expect, that I should just sit and wait for rescue to come. We still need to survive and anyway, I can't just think of myself at this time, there is others to think about, so if you can't support me in my decision, then butt out of my life." I stormed away and walk a distance away, then felt bad for my harsh words towards him and swore to myself.

I turn and ask Matt and the guys to give me a second, then walk back to Conner who was standing with a broken look on his face. I take his hand in mine, then pull him to me. "I'm sorry for being so rude, but please understand that we all need each other while here." I hug him and walked back to the guys who was waiting for me patiently.

A/N:
Hi everyone, I hope you guys are still enjoying the book. Don't forget to vote and also to follow me.