Chapter 20

More than half of the huts were badly damaged and our first concern was to check if anyone got hurt during the storm. A lot of the people were badly shaken and I can understand why. Not only did we go through a plane crash, but also had to suffer through a storm.

I look around the area and saw that we lost our pig, as well as the chickens we kept. The spot where we've planted the herbs and vegetables were just a muddy mess. Most of our food that was in containers were spoiled and we had to throw it away. The only thing we could keep, was the tinned foods and rice,which we've kept in a tight sealed container. Everything else was wasted. I felt like crying when I realise that we gonna have to start from scratch to find some food.

I feel someone touch my shoulder and turn around to see Conner's worried look. "Maddie, may I make a suggestion to what we could do." I wasn't really in a mood to listen to anyone, but if someone could come up with a plan, then I'm all ears, as I felt dejected, so I asked him what he has in mind.

"Um...I was thinking that we could maybe rebuild the huts closer to the waterfall. Some of us could pick some more fruit and vegetables, as well as some herbs. We could spend today carrying everything close to the waterfall and if we don't get finish, we still have the seats to sleep on. The huts that we finish today could be used for the woman and children, as well as the older people. Your friend Ben could take a few guys with him to hunt for meat or whatever they could find."

"I think its an excellent idea, wow, I never thought you could think further than obsessing over Maddie," I hear Ben say to Conner. Before they could get into another argument, I silenced both of them.  

"I know its an excellent idea, but what if there is a boat or a plane. They won't be able to see us." Conner nods his head. "I thought about that, but we could make turns guarding the beach and if rescue comes, they could let us know." I think for a few seconds about what to do and saw that some of the people were listening and waiting for instructions. I turn and smiled at Conner. "You know, you not that bad after all," which made him smile broadly.

"Man, this guy is totally whipped," Ben says laughingly. "Ok guys, we wasting time, lets start moving everything to the waterfall and we can figure out from there what to do next."

That's how our day went. The men broke down the huts and carried everything they could to the waterfall, while the woman and children carried the lighter stuff. Ben and a few guys went off hunting and I went  with Matt and Hanna to pick some more fruit, so that we could at least have something to eat. By the time the sun went down, we had most of the things at the waterfall and more than half of the huts were rebuild.

I was getting worried about what we all gonna eat that evening, as everyone was already hungry, when Ben and the guys came back. They found about eight ostrich eggs and some herbs, but because of the storm, they couldn't find more than four rabbits. They already had a small fire going, so with the help from some of the females, we made the rabbits with some of the herbs, then cut it up in small pieces and mixed it with some rice, so that everyone could have something to eat. The eggs we will keep for the morning.

It was while we were eating, that we start making plans of what to do next. We decided that the younger men would sleep outside for the evening until the rest of the huts were build. One person will stand guard at the waterfall and two men would stand guard down at the beach. We will change shifts every six hours, so that everyone gets their needed rest. Tomorrow, I will go with Matt, Ben and two other men into the woods to hunt, while the rest will help Conner to set up everything around our new camp.

Conner started saying something about me going with the guys in the morning, so I gave him a look and he looks down and when we were done eating, people started getting ready for bed. Everyone was exhausted from the days work. I made sure that the people standing guard first, would be able to stay awake for six hours, before walking to the waterfall.

I relax my tired body in the water and a few people joined me to cool down their bodies. They got out after a few minutes, so it was only me, Conner, Matt and Hanna who sat at the side, with our feet still in the water. I listen to the conversation between Matt and Hanna and realise that they have grown pretty close to each other, so when I saw her looking at me, I motioned with my hands and winked at her, which made her look down shyly.

They left a short while later to get some rest, so now its only me and Conner. I turn to him and saw that he was sitting with his head down and knew that he was still upset that I'm going with the guys. "Conner, I know you are upset that I'm going hunting with the guys in the morning and I need you to stop carrying on like a jealous husband. We had this speech before and you need to start trusting me, or else there will never be an us."

He looks up quickly and looked into my eyes. "Maddie, that's just it, I am the jealous husband and I'm scared that I will loose you to one of the guys."

Before I could answer him, I hear laughter close by and knew that it was Ben. He must of heard us talking. One of these days I'm gonna wring his neck for teasing Conner like this.

A/N:
Please comment on my book. Don't forget to vote and to follow me. Share my book with other readers.