Chapter 23

I've spend hours at Jake's grave, then walked up to the huts. I could see that everyone's eyes was on me, but I needed to sort out Jake's things, so I walk towards his hut, but was stopped by Conner.

"Maddie...you don't have to do this now. Have something to eat, then rest for a while." I step away from him and kept my eyes to the ground. "I need to do this now Conner." He lifts my face to meet his eyes and I could see my own sadness mirror in his. For a while I forgot that many of the people here were close to Jake.

"Look babe, eat something at least, before you do it. I will come help you sort out Jake's things. I just don't want you to get sick." I stood for a few minutes, then nod my head, so he pulls me to where Hanna was already waiting with a plate of food. I take the food from her and sat down. While eating, my mind was in turmoil. We need to get off this island alive, so I can find Megan. I feel so sad for the unknown woman who must be going crazy by now, wondering what happened to her dad. Oh God, she will be all alone now.

I feel a presence next to me and looked up to see Matt and Conner standing there. Matt takes my hand in his. "Maddie, I'm sorry about Jake. I know he was like a dad to you. We will all miss him dearly, as he was the father figure around here, that's why we wanna have a memorial for him tonight where we can all pay tribute in his name."

I look at him with tears running down my face. "That is a wonderful idea, Matt. I know that Jake has played a part in everyone's life here and we will all miss him."

He nods and hugged me to him, until we hear the clearing of a voice and Matt laughs. "Ok mister possessive, your turn with Maddie." He got up and Conner takes my hand. "Are you ready to sort through Jake's things," he ask in a soft voice, so I nod and followed him to Jake's hut.

I look around the small hut, then start packing all his personal things into one bag, as well as a few of his shirts  I wanna keep for myself.  I turn to Conner and asked him to take the rest of Jake's things and give it to the survivors who needs it. He nods at me and we leave the hut together. I put the bag with his personal things in our hut and lie down for a bit. I must of fallen asleep as I feel someone touching my shoulder.

"Hi Maddie, just wanted to know if you would like to freshen up before we all go down to the beach front." I look at Hanna half confused, then I remember why we going to the beach front. I get up quickly and grabbed a sweater pants from Conner's bag and one of Jake's shirts, then follow her to the water. Luckily someone has build a type of screen with a cover, which we use to change our clothes, so after I wash myself, I change my clothes there.

When I was ready, I saw that everyone was waiting for me, so I walk down to the beach with them in tow. No one said anything, as they all felt the sadness of loosing Jake. There was already a fire going, so I sit down on one of the blankets which was spread on the sand.

Conner came to me and went on his knees before me and I looked at him in question. "Maddie, when you were out hunting with the guys, Jake asked to speak to me and gave me something to give to you. He knew he was dying and wanted you to have something that belonged to him." Conner takes something from his pocket and tears ran down my cheeks silently. It was a chain Jake used to wear around his neck, which his wife gave him as a wedding gift.

Conner moved forward and clip it around my neck and I look down at it. Just then a sob broke through me and I held on to Conner while crying. A while later he push me away to look into my face. " No more tears sweetheart, Jake wouldn't of wanted to see you so sad." I smile through my tears at him. "Its just so hard to say goodbye."

That evening everyone said something about Jake and the changes he made in their life's. Some of the things were sad and some of it was humorous,that had everyone laughing. We all spend the night down at the beach until the sun came up in the horizon.

A/N:
I hope you guys enjoy the book. Don't forget to vote and to follow me. Comments welcome and share my book with other readers.