Chapter 31

In less than two weeks, it will be Christmas, which means that we are nearly a year on the island, as our plane crashed three days after Christmas. The survivors have adapted completely with the way of living here and have given up on the idea of getting rescued.

The heat was unbearable most of the times, so in the evenings some of us would sleep outside under the stars as the huts gets to stuffy. I still stay in Ben's old hut, but because of the heat, I spend most nights next to the waterfall with Conner by my side. Conner has been the perfect gentleman so far and kept his jealousy to a limit. Everyone thought that it was to adorable that he still keeps his eye on me.

Some of the guys left this morning to hunt, as our food supply was running low. Conner did ask me a few days ago why I don't go out with them anymore, so I turned around and asked him if he would like me to spend more time with them or with him and he was quick to pull me into his arms and whispered that he likes it more that I'm at his side, so that was the end of his questioning.

I've taken everything out of my hut this morning to hang some of the things out in the sun.  The other reason to clean out regularly is also to check for any bugs and snakes between my things. Now I'm busy sorting through my things and my eyes fall on the bag I keep Jake's things in. I open it slowly and took out the plastic bag with five or six photo frames. I look at the first frame and smiled as I see a young Jake and his beautiful wife. The second one is a smiling Jake looking down at his wife, while a young boy and girl sat between them. Two frames had pictures of the boy and the girl and the fifth one was Jake, smiling with tears in his eyes, while posing with a young girl, which I take is his daughter. I pick up the last frame and saw a beautiful house. Around the house was different color roses growing. I turn the frame over and see Megan's address written in one corner of the frame. "I will find your Megan, Jake, I promise you."

"Are you ok baby," I hear from behind me and I wipe my tears before turning to Conner. "Yeah, I'm good, sorry, I just got a little emotional." He nods and helped me up, then pulls me into his arms. "You know sweetheart, you can always move back to our hut, its anyway bigger than this one."

I didn't answer him straight away. Instead, I look around at the other people. "Conner, do you think we will ever get off the island. I can't imagine staying here for the rest of my life, away from everything and I miss dad so much. I wonder if he is still ok."

"Look sweetheart, we can't give up hope. I believe that my parents will keep on searching for us." I don't know why I feel so emotional today, but before I could stop myself, tears ran down my face and Conner held me to him while I sobbed. After a few minutes I pull away from him and apologise. "Sorry, must be the hormones." After I said it, I realised my mistake as Conner looks at me, trying to figure out what I meant.

While looking at each other, my eye caught movement behind him and I see one of the woman collapse to the ground. I let go of Conner's hand quickly and ran to her side and he follows me. "Can someone get me some water, she's burning up," I shout out and immediately water and a towel was brought to me. I open her top a little to try and cool her down, while wiping her face and arms with the towel.

"Let me carry her to some shade for you" Conner says. I step back and let him pick her up, but before he walks to the shade, he turns to me. "We not done talking." I just nod my head and told him to hurry up. By afternoon we had six people burning up with fever and we didn't know what to do, as we had no medical supplies left. The only thing we could do was to wipe them down.

By the time Ben and the guys arrived, people ran to them as they were carrying Ashton. "What happened," I asked them. "We were on our way back to the camp, when Ashton just dropped to his knees, complaining that he had stomach pains and he was burning up."

Everyone started running around trying to help those who got sick. Hannah came to me while I was standing next to Conner. "Maddie, could I please speak to you about something in private." I nod my head at her and told Conner that I would be right back. "What's wrong Hannah."

"Maddie, I think we have a virus or something spreading and you need to stay away from the others, as your body needs to stay strong for the baby." I look at Hanna's serious face and said that we need all the help now. "Maddie, if you start showing the same symptoms as the others, you might loose the baby or even your own life and we can't take that chance."

A/N:
Hi guys, please don't forget to vote and to follow me.