Chapter 17

We got up early the next day and Conner even helped me to prepare breakfast for everyone. We decided to cut off strips from the pig and used some of the ostrich eggs to scramble. With that we took out some of the biscuits. What a pity that we don't have any bread.

We all decided to rest today, so no one will go hunting or fishing. The party will be in the afternoon to give us time to prepare everything. Someone will also have to keep the youngster busy, so not to ruin the surprise.

After breakfast, the woman helped with the cleaning up, then most of us went down to the water to relax for a while, before we start preparing the party. I have noticed that the young woman who lost her daughter Chloe in the plane crash, has grown very close to the little orphan girl Donna, that was amongst the survivors. Who knows, maybe she can adopt the little girl when we get off the island one day.

I look out over the water and wondered if we would ever get off the island one day. Why haven't anyone found us yet. I think about my dad and wondered if he gave up and accepted that everyone died that day. Tears formed in my eyes, thinking the worst.

"You are one of the strongest woman I've met in my life, so don't be sad. I promise you that my parents will not rest until they found us." I look up at the voice and saw Conner and smiled lightly. "I'm just worried that my dad may have a relapse, thinking that he have lost me as well."

Conner sits down next to me and looked into my eyes. "What do you mean that your dad might have a relapse. What is wrong with him." I look back at the water before answering. "After my mom past away, dad felt lonely. I couldn't always go visit him as I had my own job, so I didn't notice him drinking more and he started gambling as well. I only found out about everything when I visited him one day and he told me about the money he took from the company and about your threats to have him locked up. After I married you, I took the money that you gave me in advance and paid the bond he took out on the house. I also paid for him to go for therapy and I hired someone to take care of him, so he won't feel all alone. He was getting so much better and even started a small hobby by making furniture for the lest fortunate."

I turn to face Conner again. "So you see Conner, the money I've asked you in advance wasn't because I was a gold-digger, but it went towards helping dad get back on his feet." I could see the guilt and shame on his face, but I was just telling him the truth.

We sat there for a while, both of us with our own thoughts, until I hear one of the woman call my name, so I got up off the sand, but Conner grabs my hand before I could walk away and I look down at him. "Maddie, I'm so, so sorry. I was a jerk to make your dad pay back the money without finding out the reasons to why he took it."

"It doesn't change anything Conner. I know you regret your harsh decisions, but we can't change anything, unless we get rescued somehow. We on this island a few month already and not one boat or plane was seen coming past here."

I pull my hand from his and smiled sadly. "I'm sorry, I need to go help the other's prepare a birthday party." I walk away slowly and joined the others.

Matt and the guys were setting up a place on the sand and when they were done, some of the guys came to collect the food and drinks. They were laughing all the way and making jokes, saying something about Matt and Ben's brilliant idea for decoration. We make sure to take what we need and called out to everyone to join us, before walking down to the sand.

My eyes nearly pop out of my head and I can hear some of the people laughing. There were dozens of blown up condoms with smiley faces on sticks, which were hanging from branches. I don't even wanna know where they got it from.