Chapter 19

It has been six months since our plane has gone down. After the boat incident, there was only one small plane we saw in the air, but still no help came. The survivors has resigned themselves to the inevitable that no one will come to rescue us.

Conner and the guys made the huts stronger and we even have a small garden with herbs that we found. Everyone bonded and grew closer to each other. Chloe's mom took the little girl Hope under her wing permanently and they even sharing a hut together. I'm thankful for that as they both needed someone special in their lives. They both go down to Chloe's grave regularly to put some wildflowers on it.

We still battling to get the radio to work, but none of us is willing to give up. Today I'm helping Ben to make more of the dried meat, so we can put away some of it. We still have most of the tinned foods, but keep that for emergency only.

While helping Ben, Conner would find an excuse to keep an eye on Ben, to Ben's amusement. The people around the camp was so used to his behaviour by now, but some of the guys will still tease him by flirting with me, just to get a reaction from him.

Tomorrow a few of us will go deeper into the island to see if we could find anything. Tonight we will have some of the fish we caught this morning. We will have some rice with it. Gosh, I miss my toasted bread so much.

When I'm done with cutting the pieces of meat, I spice it and give it to Ben to hang inside the box. By late afternoon everyone was relaxing down by the water and talked about their lives and their loved one's back home.

"What is the first thing you guys wants to eat when we get home," one of the guys ask to no one specific. Everybody laughs as people started shouting out what the first thing would be. Some wanted Pizza's, while others said a juicy steak and even ice-cream was mentioned. Matt looks at me and wink, which made Conner growl at him, so he laughs. "So Maddie sweetheart, what will be the first thing you want to eat when you get home, maybe we could share it."

Conner jumped up, ready to attack Matt, so I jumped in between them. "Cut it out Matt." I hear Conner laugh, thinking that I took his side, so I turned to him. "You mister, can stop laughing at Matt as well. We are not an item yet and I told you that no one has a say in my life but me."

His face fell immediately and he looks down. I look around and saw people sitting with amused looks on their faces and I sigh. "Look, let's all just sit down and relax okey." After a few minutes I look at Matt. "Hamburger, that will be the first thing I eat, a juicy hamburger with all the trimmings."

"All the candy I can lay my hands on," we hear from Hope and everyone laughs. "I will make sure that you get your wish," we hear Donna(Chloe's mom) say to her and everyone awww.

After several hours we all make our way back up the sand towards the campsite. We were just finish eating, when the sky suddenly turned dark and the rain came pouring down, so everyone ran to their huts. By the time Conner and myself made it into our hut, we were both soaked, so I scratched through the clothes we had and told him to turn around, so I could get out of my wet things. Lightning strike close by and I nearly jumped out of my skin and I hear Conner's voice trying to calm me, but it was difficult as my biggest fear was lightning.

I sit down on my bed and start shaking like a leaf and feel him sit down next to me on the ground. I put my hands over my ears to block out the noise and Conner pulls me into his arms and rub my back, trying to calm me down.

It felt like hours that we sat like that before I feel myself drifting off to sleep. I woke up during the night and felt Conner's arm wrapped around my body. I could still hear the rain pouring down. At least the worst of the lightning was over and I snuggle closer to him and fell asleep again.

I woke up when I hear voices outside, then quickly got up and put on my sneakers before I walk outside to be greeted by complete chaos.

A/N:
Please vote for my book and follow me. Comments more than welcome.