Chapter 14

We got up very early and start walking back to the campsite. We picked some more bananas, as well as a few banana plants we could plant closer to the camp. We saw a lot of berries and even mushrooms, but decided to leave it, as we don't know if it was safe to eat.

It was while we were walking that I turned to Matt. "Matt, do you think that we would be rescued at all. I mean, we on this island for about two month and haven't seen another plane or even a boat. I know we have to make the best of things, but I miss my dad so much and I'm worried that he would have a relapse, thinking that everyone died."

Matt looks at me sadly and said that the only thing we could do, is stay positive. During the day, we stopped twice with the extra weight we carrying and by nighttime, we moved down to the sand, where we will be in the clearing. Matt made a fire and we just ate something, then fell down exhausted and slept.

The next day we continued our trip to the camp and had to stop a few times to rest. It was on day six, when we heard other voices and knew that we were getting closer. Hearing the other survivors made us excited and we walked as fast as we could to get to them.

We came around the bend and all of a sudden people came running towards us and I was scooped up in strong arms and held tight. "You smothering her," I hear someone say and the person in who's arms I was, immediately slacken their hold on my. I look up to see a worried looking Conner infront of me. He moves backwards and checked me over for any injuries, asking me over and over again if I'm okey.

"Conner, I'm fine, we are all fine but tired, so if you don't mind, we wanna get to the camp and rest." He nods quickly at me and we start walking again. I hear someone whistle as we got closer and freeze when I look at the campsite.

Everything have been changed. The front part of the woods have been cleared completely and there were huts everywhere. "How...when..." Someone starts telling me that Conner came up with the idea to build the huts with mud, grass, branches and tree poles. The woman braided split reeds and leaf's to bind the structure. There was even doors on all the huts.

I start walking again and saw that there was even a pen for our pig we still have and one for the chickens. As we got closer to the huts, I saw names written with a black marker on the side of the huts. I don't even wanna know where that came from.

Matt walks past me and smiled broadly at me and whisper, "whipped" before walking on. I walk in between the huts with Conner by my side and to one side I saw a hut with my name on it, as well as Conner's name. I hear some snickering from some of the people, but was to tired to say anything. I went through the door and found two of the seats next to each other and I put my things down and fell down on one of them. I was asleep instantly and was woken by Conner a few hours later to eat something.

It was while I'm eating that I found Conner watching me the whole time. "What's on your mind Conner." He close his eyes for a second, then look up at me. "Are you mad at me for wanting to share the same hut as my wife."

I eat finish and put my empty plate to one side before looking up at him. "Conner, I'm thankful to you for being there for the other survivors while we were away. As for the sleeping arrangements, I don't care where I sleep as long as you know that I can't just forgive you and carry on as if nothing was wrong between us. So for now, let's carry on normally and concentrate on getting rescued one day."

He nods his head slowly and I could see that he wasn't happy with my words, but he have hurt me with his attitude towards me. There is one thing on my mind that I needed to know though, so I looked at him again.

"Will you give me an honest answer if I ask you something." He nods his head, so I continue. "I know that we are married on paper only and I don't have the right to ask you this, but how many times have you been unfaithful in this marriage. Before you answer, I saw you that day at the hotel sitting and laughing with another woman. I also saw the bracelet inside your bag."

Conner moves forward and takes my hand in his, while looking into my eyes. "I've never been unfaithful Maddie, the day you saw me at the hotel was because I just bought a piece of property. It was suppose to be a gift to you on your birthday, as well as the bracelet. I was on my way to tell you about the property, but then I saw you in Matt's arms. I felt as if I could kill both of you. My wife and my best friend, how do you think it made me feel."

I reach out and touch the side of his face. "Conner, nothing happened between me and Matt that day, he tried to explain to you, but again your ego got in the way. Matt was just comforting me after I ran into him when I saw you with that woman, but that's not the only thing that stands between us. Did you forget that we both signed a contract that I would be your wife for two years in name only and after that we would go our separate ways.

"The hell with the contract Maddie, I lo...I care for you. Give me a chance to prove myself to you." My eyes goes big at his words. Did he nearly say that he loves me. "Conner, I don't know how long we will be on this island, but until our contract ends, I will give you a chance to show me what type of person you really are, but I will still not sleep with you."