Chapter 33

I woke up the next morning and when I look around, I realise that I'm not in my own hut. I tried getting up, but hear Conner's sleepy voice behind me. "No baby, just lie a few more minutes next to me."

I turn around and looked at Conner and asked him how I ended up here, so he explained that I fell asleep next to the fire and he didn't want to leave me there, so he brought me to his hut. I lie for a few minutes longer and just looks at him. Gosh, this man has really found his way into my heart. I move forward and touched my lips to his lightly, but before I could pull away, I was flat on my back and Conner deepens the kiss.

We stopped to catch our breath and I giggle when he tried to kiss me again. "Wait Conner, I need to get up and I wanna check on those who is sick." He groans and leans into me again. "I will let you leave on one condition." I look into his eyes and waited for him to continue. "Just let me taste your lips one more time before you leave."

I happily kissed him back and after about ten minutes I walk outside, only to see Matt and Hanna standing there with big smiles. I felt so embarrassed and tried to sneak past them, but then I heard both of them cracking jokes. "Oh Conner, I just love kissing those lips of yours," Hannah mimicked and Matt burst out laughing. I look past them and see a grinning Conner standing behind them, so the only thing I could do is walk away and ignore them.

Hannah followed me and to take her mind off me and Conner, I asked her about our patients. "Well, I don't know what the hell you've studied, but the herb we gave them definitely worked. There is just two people who still have a bit of a upset stomach, but all of them were checked this morning and the fever is gone. We still gave them some of the herb's sap this morning, just to make sure and some of them is even moving around now."

I was ecstatic over the news and went to all of them, just to see for myself that they really pulled through. I say a silent prayer to thank God. Later that day, with the help of a few woman, we planted some of the herb closer to the campside, so if something like this should happen in the future, we know we have it close-by.

It was while the woman were all sitting together, that I felt the movement inside my stomach and I gasp out. Immediately Hannah was infront of me to see what is wrong, but I assured her that I'm fine. "Maddie, you should really tell him the truth. You know, eventually he will figure it out and he will be mad at you for keeping it a secret for so long." I close my eyes for a second and nearly had a heart attack on the spot when I hear Conner's voice.

"What secret are you keeping Maddie. What is so big that you can't come out with it." I look at Conner and saw the hurt in his eyes, then at Hannah who only shrugs her shoulders, then back at Conner. He turns away from me and walks towards the beach, so I jumped up and ran after him.

"Conner, wait..." He stops and turns towards me. "Why should I wait Maddie, so you can tell me more lies. I'm sorry, but if this is how a relationship between us is gonna work, then I think it would be for the best to just forget that there will ever be an us."

I stand there in pure shock at his words as I see him walk away. Tears ran down my face as I realise what my secret may have cost me. "Go after him and tell him the truth. Tell him why you kept it from him. I'm pretty sure he would forgive you." I looked to my left and saw Ben standing there, as well as some of the other people. I nod my head at him and followed the direction Conner went, but couldn't see him anywhere, so I dropped to my knees when I got to Jake's grave and cried.

"Jake, I think I've really stuffed up this time. I kept it from Conner that I'm carrying his baby, but it was because I was scared that he wouldn't want the baby and I was so unsure about everything." More tears ran down my cheeks. "Jake, what should I do, I'm in love with my husband and now its to late. How do I make the hurt go away."

I feel arms wrap around my body while sobbing over Jake's grave and I looked up to see Conner. I tried hiding my face from him, so he wouldn't see the tears, but he made me look at him. "You pregnant with my baby." I nod my head at him, then looked down, feeling ashamed. In the next instance I was up in his arms and he crushed his lips to mine. It felt like the kiss just went on and on. "I'm gonna be a daddy," he shouts out happily after we pulled apart.