Chapter 22

"Jake, what is it you want me to do for you," I whisper to him. He put his hand back into the bag and when I saw him battling, I took the bag from him and pack out the contents. The only things inside was a wooden box, which seemed to be hand-made, a few photo frames, which was wrapped in plastic and a bunch of keys.

Jake reached out and touch the box, so I picked it up and gave it to him. He smiles and stroke lightly over the box. "I...I made this box for my wife when we got married." Silent tears ran down his face and I wipe them. "Please Jake, don't look so sad. Its a beautiful memory of you and your wife."

He smile's and cough again, so I wait till he calms down. "I...I need you to find my daughter when you get off this island and give this box to her." He opens the box and inside were different types of jewellery. "These belonged to my wife, I...I.." Jake starts coughing again and I could hear the wheezing in his chest. "Jake, why don't you rest for a while, we have all the time to talk."

He reached out and pulled me closer. "Mm...Maddie, I know you for a few month and you have become like a daughter to me." At his words tears runs down my face. "You need to find my daughter and give these to her." He points to the heap of stuff again, so I picked up the things and gave it to him. "Inside the plastic is her address with the frames." He stops talking as he battles with his breathing, so I got up quickly and help him drink some water.

"Jake, why don't you rest and safe your breath, so you can give these to Megan yourself." He shakes his head tiredly at me. "Maddie, listen to me pl...please. I'm not gonna make it home sweetheart. I need you to be strong for me and find my daughter. Mm..maybe you would become friends one day."

I lie my head on his chest and sobbed my heart out, while he stroke my hair. After a while he starts talking again. "The bunch of keys is the spare keys to my house. Whenever Megan is ready, I would like her to spend some time there, then she can decide what she wanna do with everything."

I sit up straight and look at Jake. "I'm just gonna miss you so much Jake, you have become part of my life." Tears were running down my face again and he wipes them away. "Maddie, come on my girl, no more tears. Most of the survivors depend on you and you need to be strong for them." He lies back and close his eyes for a few minutes, then looks at me.

"I...I wanna go down to the shore for a while to look at the moon over the water. Do...do you think someone will h...help me get there." I got up immediately and helped him to put on a warm sweater, before helping him to his feet. As we made our way out of his hut, everyone was already waiting there and a few guys stepped closer and took Jake from me and helped him to the beach. I walked behind them and the rest of the survivors followed.

A blanket appeared and was spread out on the sand, so I sat down and Jake was laid down next to me, with his head in my lap. After a while they moved away to give us some time alone, but stayed close enough to keep an eye on us.

We talked for hours about his life before the plane crash and he asked me about my own life. "Maddie..."
I look down into Jake's face and waited for him to continue. "I...I know your husband haven't been the perfect man, but everyone can see that he is head over heels in love with you. Gosh, the guy is totally whipped." He laughs lightly, then catch his breath. "Why don't you give him a chance." I smiled at him, but didn't say anything.

We both fell silent and looked out over the water. The sun was coming up when I looked down at Jake and a sob broke through my chest when I realise that he was gone. I started crying and held him to me. I feel a pair of arms wrap around me and I turn to see Conner, so I sobbed against his chest. "He is gone, Jake is gone."

Conner held me up while we have a small service for Jake and afterwards I just wanted to be left alone for a while at his gravesite. A few people stayed behind, but I didn't care about anything at that moment. I cried next to his grave and promise him that I will take him home with us when we leave the island.

A/N:
Hi guys, please don't forget to vote and to follow me.