Chapter 12

Another few weeks has passed and still there was no sign of help coming. People started to accept the living conditions on the island and tried making the best of things. Some of the survivors were still recovering from their injuries, but at least they were getting better.

Conner on the other hand has a bit of a limp now and acts like a possessive husband whenever one of the men were standing to close to me. Ben told most of the people about what happened in the woods when he was nearly attacked by Conner and everybody found that hilarious and some of the guys even teased him by being 'over friendly' with me just to piss him off.

The plane has vanished completely under the water by now and some of the parts has washed up on shore, which we have collected. We still didn't go looking for the front part of the plane and I knew that it might be the only way for us to get help if we find the radio.

I got up early on the seventh week and with the help of Hannah and a few other women, we took stock of all the food we have left and decided to go down to the water later to catch some fish. Ben and a few of the guys decided to go into the woods to see what they could find. Over the last week a few big plastic containers have washed out and they were excellent to store the food inside.

While waiting for Hannah and the rest to join me down at the water, I decided to walk down to the shore and have a few moments to myself. It was while I looked over the water that my eyes caught something floating that looks like a crate, so I went closer. I tried pulling the thing out of the water, but it was difficult to do it by myself. As I was about to shout out for someone to help me, I feel someone's hand covering mine.

I look up and saw Conner standing there. "Let me help you with that," was all he said, so together we pulled the crate closer to the sand with difficulty and I take the small knife I'm carrying on me since we came to the island and break the seal off the crate. We open the lid together and I shout out in happiness when I saw what we found. I didn't even realise that I hugged Conner in happiness, until I hear someone clear their voice and I let go of him quickly.

I look at Hannah and a few girls who were standing there, as well as Matt, so to cover my embarrassment, I look down at the crate and called them over.

"Look at what I found in the water," I say while lifting some of the things. There was coffee, sugar, powdered milk, cereal, some biscuits and I couldn't see further as the crate was to deep. They rush closer to get a better look and jumped up and down in joy. I look up to where Conner was standing with a goofy grin on his face and his eyes locked on mine, so I looked down quickly.

Matt called out to some of the men and together they help taking out some of the things to make the crate lighter, then pull the crate to our campsite. Everyone gathered around while I unpack the rest of the things and we found a stack of plastic plates, glasses and cups. There was some more biscuits and some tinned foods as well as some juices and more alcohol.

Happy with our findings, someone shouted that they would boil some water, so we could all enjoy some coffee and everyone started laughing.

While drinking coffee and eating some biscuits, we decided to still go out to the water and catch some fish for a few hours. Ben and the guys came out of the woods while we were still in the water and called out to us. They have found a massive buck as well as some chickens and eggs. Luckily they didn't kill the chickens and we decided to keep them alive in the crate for the meantime.

"That's not the only thing we found," Matt says excitedly while taking the backpacks off that they took with them. He opens them and out came a whole lot of corn, as well as cabbages. I ran over to him and hugged him, but he didn't hug me back, just stands with his hands to his sides. I look up at him and saw his eyes was looking behind me and as I turned, I saw Conner standing there looking like he could kill someone, so I rolled my eyes and ignore him.

That night we had a feast and talked about finding the front part of the plane as we already know that it was on the island. The whole time I could feel Conner's eyes following every movement I make and I tried my best not to look at him. Why would he care now all of a sudden, before the crash, I was a nobody to him.

A/N:
I hope you guys enjoy the book so far. Please don't forget to vote and to follow me.